Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

event viewer is blank

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrock

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2002
US
I've got a strange prob here. Running 2K server SP4, and up until yesterday I could view events in Event Viewer just fine. Now suddenly there is nothing- nada- in any of the views in event viewer. When I first opened it and clicked 'System', it displayed my system events. Then I clicked other tabs- application, DNS, etc and they were all blank. Clicked back over to System and it is now blank as well, with '0' events. It does not give the display that the file is empty, its just blank. I tried to open a prev saved *.evt file, it said there is 2,787 events but shows a blank page. I made sure that all logs hold up to 8 MB of space, then begin overwriting. any ideas?

You havent got a filter applied have you?

No filters, and up to 8MB of space. Whats strange is that it comes and goes. When I first open Event viewer it displays all the events just fine. Its when I click another tab (application, security, etc) that it disappears. From that point on I cant view any events in any tab until I completely close the event viewer and open it up again. I tried saving before it disappears, but when I reopen the saved file, it is blank yet again.

I've had this. What I've done is save the invisible log, and then cleared them. Usually you can see the new entries then. It's the most annoying thing though.

Not sure about this one, are numerous entries being written to log while you have it open. If so, this can blank the log view because it doesnt refresh the screen properly.

thanks guys. Still not positive on the cause, but I saved all logs, cleared, and also rebooted the server after hours and it came up fine. Hasnt given me a problem yet today, so guess I can just blame it on computer gremlins. Thanks for your help.
[thumbsup2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back