Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Event Trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

trystanhuwwilliams

Programmer
Aug 23, 2002
GB
Hi, I know that a closed Access database can be updated i.e receive new records even when the actual database is not open. An example of this would be the way that MS Front Page sends records to an Access database. What I want to know is, if there is any way an event can be triggered in a closed Access database when a new record is received??

Thank you,

T

T,

It sounds like you are looking for "triggers", which access does not have. In Access there is no way, whether the database is opened or not, to fire an event purely in reaction to a reord being aded or deleted or updated.

On the other hand, depeneding on the environment you're working in, you could write a function locally that does the record manipulation, and whaterver else you need to get accomplished.

What are you looking to do, and from where?

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace
AlphaBet City Dataworks

Take a look at the Developers' section of the site for some helpful fundamentals.

Actually, Ms. A. cannot add records -or do anything- unless an instantiation of the run time engine (at least) is open. But that's just a nit-pick, as the various 'engines' which manipulate the records do it without the user interface showing.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

Searching for employment in all the wrong places

Hi, Yes I though that would be the case, but thank you for your advice. I've got a web page based form written in Front Page - which is a staff suggestion form - new ideas are sent from the form to an access database. When these new records are sent or added I want the relevant people notified via email. Front Page doesn't allow you to send to Access & Email at the same time, so I was looking for a way to do it with Access.

Thank you again,

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back