Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Event Log error in application log?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 2004
US
I've been getting this error almost every second in my event log on my windows 2000 DC.

The Open Procedure for service "DNS" in DLL "C:\WINNT\system32\dnsperf.dll" failed. Performance data for this service will not be available. Status code returned is data DWORD 0.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
Event ID is 1008

This is what had to say about this... I use this resource all the time at work.. Take a look and see if it applies...

Adrian Grigorof
This event may occur for various applications. When the performance monitor reads all counters for the first time, the extension's Open Procedure is called. A typical task for the Open procedure is to read what range of object indexes it supports from the registry. These index values are stored in the First Counter, First Help, Last Counter, and Last Help registry values under the application's performance key. If this Open procedure fails to read the data (i.e. those entries don’t exist or have been deleted by an uninstall procedure) the 1008 event is recorded in the event log (see Q247226 for more details). See Q247226 on how to fully install the Performance Monitor Extentions

In order to remove such orphaned entries typically one has to follow these steps:
Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe or Regedit.exe)and go to the following subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\<service name>:\Performance
Delete the value " Open ."
Restart your computer for this change to take effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back