Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

event ID1062

Status
Not open for further replies.

1revres

IS-IT--Management
Dec 18, 2006
AU
ML370G3 compaq insight manager downgraded status, all disks are OK.

You have not given us much detail to work on so the only thing I did was to look up the Event ID on and it came up with quite a few possibilities. You can either give us more info to help you or look at the Event ID website and see which one fits your issue.

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

Downgraded what? Is the health light amber? Do you mean degraded array?

Burt

11/7/8 15:16
Thanks guys,
Your suggestions were in the right direction.I posted the question yesterday as the infrastructure analyst reported to me. Last night, I went to the server, one of the disk in the array was not seen by the server,OFFLINE,Faulty condition,configured as part of the array. Reseated the drive and rebuilt ok.
thanks for your help.

What size is the drive? Some drives (36GB U320 10K, 72GB U32010K, and 146GB U320 10K) are notoriuos for giving false failures and predictive failures with downrevved firmware...update the firmware with the latest firmware update CD (you boot to it, free download, 8.0 I think, and it updates everything in the server except BIOS---RAID controller, ILO, drive firmware, etc.).
If you don't do this, chances are it will happen again soon...I hope you have a RAID 5 with a hot spare---this way, you can lose 2 drives and still be okay. Once a drive "fails" because of firmware, then more tend to "fail" (false), and with RAID 5 and no hot spare, once 2 drives give a false failure, you're dead in the water. Highly recommend to update firmware...

Burt

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Firmware Maintenance CD will update the BIOS as well.

Also, we've moved away from RAID 5 + Hot spare to RAID 6 (ADG). Of course, this is dependant upon whether or not it is supported by the array controller.

There is a relatively small window of vulnerability with the RAID 5 option where if a 2nd drive fails before the spare is rebuilt, the entire array will fail. With RAID 6 the hot spare is already in the array. It can withstand 2 drives failing simultaneously.

The number of drives is the same, so it isn't costing any more (up front) to go with RAID 6 over RAID 5 + Hot Spare.

Just my 3 cents (was 2 cents, but everything is going up with inflation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back