Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Event ID 7023 - [service] terminated....access code invalid

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhoang

IS-IT--Management
Oct 9, 2002
US
On every one (30+) of my Win2k sp2-sp3 boxes, I get this message after every reboot/bounce...

Event ID 7023

"The print spooler service terminated with the following error: The access code is invalid".

When I check the spooler service, it's running. I'll also get perflib errors too about the spooler.

HELP....I'm think I'm going insane.

What those servers have in common?
Common softwrae? Common settings?
Which is print server?

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K
new: (just started)

Here are some more details:

1) Compaq Proliant Servers - Ranging from the G1 and G2 series of servers (DL360, DL380, ML570, DL760's). This error is happening with the retail and Microsoft Select OS CD's.

2) These errors start happening shortly after the inception of the server (Smart Start CD's v5.30, 5.40, 6.10). Same goes for any desktop/laptop builds.

3) Win2k Adv Server, Win2k Server, Win2k Professional, XP Professional get these errors. Desktops, laptops, anything running these OS's. I've got two print servers...one is NT4 sp6a running JetAdmin and the other one is 2k Server sp3. Common settings: mirror'd OS and pagefile is usually 1.5x's physical. Most of my boxes are running with 2gig physical.

4) After the OS install on servers, the common 3rd party applications running on all boxes are: Symantec Antivirus Corp Edition 8.0, Netsupport 7.1, Winzip 8.1, and Acrobat reader 5.05. As for patchs, dominantly SP2 and SP3.

5) I've already set the Print Spooler service to restart..but it really isn't stopping. I've tried setting default printers..no dice.

6) I've got two theories: 1) there is a Compaq Management agent that's hosing something (doesn't explain why desktops are getting the issue though) OR 2) I've got about 4 old HP 4mv LaserJets networked. I've heard urban legend that these older JetDirect cards have a bug/issue running on newer infrastructures.

Has anyone else heard of JetDirect Issues causing problems?

The common issue here is that all of them are having set a printer from those server (2 or just one?). Isn't it?

True, Compaq Insight Manager can lead to problems because of the agents. Try to stop CIM service, and see if you still have the error. Stop it first on the PS server.

Because i don't see how the problem whould appear to all computers. Definitelly should be something common. ASs you were saying could be the JetDirect issue (but, i don't think so) or something in the Print Server settings (or conflict in the PS between CIM and services).

So: try stop CIM there, see if is working better,.. focus on the print server(s) if they are a common point. Are they?

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K
new: (just started)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back