Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Event id 673

Status
Not open for further replies.

briteeyez

IS-IT--Management
Nov 26, 2001
EC
Hi

I have a Windows 2003 DC running Exchange 2003. Also in this environment I have 2 Windows 2000 servers one is the PDC the other a DC.

I keep logging event ID 673 in my Windows 2003 server. Why would this be. The domain is running in mixed mode. I have Win2k Pro clients and WinXP clients.

The error is as follows
Event ID: 673
Source: Security
Type: Failure Audit
Description: Service Ticket Request:
User Name:
User Domain: test.COM
Service Name: host/test1.test.com
Service ID: -
Ticket Options: 0x40830000
Ticket Encryption Type: -
Client Address: 127.0.0.1
Failure Code: 0xD
Logon GUID: -
Transited Services: -

What can I do to solve this problem?

Thanks

Firstly, let me see if I understand: You've upgraded a DC to Server 2003 and Exchange 2003 and the PDC role still exists on a 2000 DC?

(I only mention the upgrade because I've never seen this 673 issue pop up except on upgrades, interestingly enough....)

If this is the case, move the PDC role to the 2003 Server or upgrade one of the other 2000 DC's to 2003. Not a good idea to have the PDC on a lower version of the OS due to the selection algorithms for various things.

Now, as to the Event 673 issue - it's an interesting one and seems to be related to Name resolution to some degree. I noticed some months ago a purported "fix" for this that does seem to resolve the problem. It does take a bit of work, but will yield good results.

Look here for this lenghty thread. sevreN seems to have this locked down.

Good luck!

MSServerMVP

Hi

The win2k3 server is a new server (fresh install of win2k3). Yes the pdc role still exists on the WIN2k3.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back