Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Event ID 529 on new BDC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

annav

MIS
Jun 12, 1999
US
We're running a small NT 4.0 network. We have two existing BDCs and recently added a new server to the network. Setup went smoothly and for about 1/2 day, users were able to connect and use files and applications normally. However, the Security event log began to display logon failures on the new BDC. The error: unknown username or password, Event ID 529. All users were still able to retrieve and save files and map drives. However, they were locked out of a Foxpro application. The error message was : File Access Denied. No such errors appear on the PDC.

We increased the virtual memory size, restarted the server. Things went fine for another day. Then the same situation arose. I tried replacing permissions on all the files. No luck.

Any ideas?

annav

As far as Error 529 is concerned, it relates to logon failures. When auditing is enabled for the domain and 'Failure' has been checked for 'Logon and Logoff', if any user with a valid username enters a wrong password, error 529 is logged in the Security Log of the domain controller validating that username.

Now here's an interesting fact. If you have one physical network with multiple domains and there's no trust between them, you will still get Error 529 on your domain controllers. But in any case, if you take a look at the details of the error 529, a lot of info is there, like username, domain, workstation etc., which, I think is enough for an admin to deduct a conclusion.

Check if your new BDC in multihomed and the second NIC is connecting to any other domain or workgroup.

And for the Foxpro application you have mentioned, I don't think Foxpro runs in NT environment. You can host Foxpro databases on NT machines and connect to them using front end applications made in Foxpro on Win95 and Win98. If a user tries to access any Foxpro application residing on NT server remotely and he is denied access, an error other than Error 529 is logged in the Security Log of the domain controller.

These are just a few thoughts, I recommend that you spend some time on the error messages in the Security Logs, minutely study the details and you will be able to explore the causes and effects of the errors.

Hope this helps.

Mubashir

Mubashir

Thanks for the response .. will let you know how it goes.

annav

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back