Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Event ID 2505

Status
Not open for further replies.

markcsand

MIS
Apr 8, 2004
US
Any help would be appreciated. Here is the issue. My Windows 2000 server running DNS is coming up with the error message that there is duplicate name on the network. However the network name for this server is not being used. We did use the same ip address for another server but that one was taken down when this one went up. In event viewer I get:

Event ID : 2505
The server could not bind to the transport/device/netbt_<nic driver>
because another computer on the network has the same name. The server
could not start.

Since this server is also a firewall some users are unable to get on the internet. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great. If anyone needs more info let me know.

Mark

Check your DNS manager to see if you see any dup records.
Alos are you running Wins on the server? Please remove it if you are.
WHats the source of the error?
Eventid.net is a great source to check. I would look at it for you if i had the source for this error

The source is NetBT. This server is not a WINS server but it does show up in the wins manager as one. No dup records in dns. I did look on the event id site which gave me a good microsoft article. I am going to attempt to reinstall TCP/IP as suggested. If you have any other suggestions that would be great.

Reinstalling TCP/IP is probobly your best bet because it will rebind the stack to the nic card.
Try deleting the Wins entry first since its a easier step.
You can have multible host name with different IPS, in DNS< i just suggested it as an extra procaution.

How do you uninstall TCP/IP? I didn't think it could be done on windows 2003 (sorry, i said windows 2000 before). Also I do delete the wins entry but it comes back. Since it does not have wins installed it doesn't resolve any names though. Is there any other way to rebind the stack to the nic? I also tried running the netsh command to reset the TCP/IP settings but I don't think that rebinds the cards.

Will this tool work on Windows 2003 server? It says it is for XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back