Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Event ID 14 and Event ID 29

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmz740

IS-IT--Management
Aug 9, 2005
US
I am receiving these errors consistently on Windows XP Pro machines on a Windows 2000 server. The 14 error says The time provider NTpClient was unable to find a domain contoller to use as a time source. NTpClient will try again in 120 minutes. The 29 error says The time provider NTpClient is configured to aquire time from one or more time sources, however none of these sources are currently accessable. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 59 minutes. NTpClient has no source of accurate time. Is there a time service on the server that needs to be started? Any help would be appreciated.

IN an Active Domain network the systems require a time server to stay synced and allow for communication between systems.

Try running the following command at the command prompt in XP:

w32tm /s

or resetting the computer account on the domain controler.

Basicly the system is telling you it cannot find the AD domain controler to get the time sync from.

This might help as well:
CJ

Don't drink and post, save that for driving home!

Win2K Server does have a Time Service. You can look up more info on your events using the link below.

-Option: A (Link to Microsoft Win2000 Event/ID lookup)

(You'll need the source & ID from the event log)

-Option: B
You can configure it to sync from an external time source using the net command. (I think you may be able to find a list of time servers on the internet) Here's one to start with.
Run this from the Dos dialog box for usage of net commands.
c:\>net time /?

How to configure an authoritative time server in Windows XP

I am quoting from "Bcastner" here, from a missing thread -

"Set the PDC as authoratative,

Administrators can configure an internal time server as authoritative by using the net time command. If the administrator directs the command to the operations master, it may be necessary to reboot the server for the changes to take effect. For additional information, see the following Microsoft white paper:

The Windows Time Service

Set the workstations to use the PDC:

First, set the PDC as timeserver:
net time /your domain name /set

Second, Type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command:

net stop w32time
w32tm –once
net start w32time

More information about the net time command is available at a command prompt if you type the following command:
net time /?"

Linney,

Your solution seems to have worked for the server. I ran the command and set the time on the PDC. My problem now is that none of the clients seem to be picking this time entry up. I s there another step to get the clients to pull the time from the PDC? Or, do I need to go to each workstation and do the net stop then the setsntp:ntpserver? Any help would be great;y appreciated.

I suppose you could visit every Workstation, but see what Group Policy offers you under "Time Servers"?

Configure Windows NTP Client.

Requirements: At least Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Windows Server 2003 family.

Location: Computer Configuration\System\Windows Time Service\Time Providers\

Description:
Specifies whether the Windows NTP Client synchronizes time from the domain hierarchy or a manually configured NTP server. Specifies whether the client can synchronize time from a source outside its site, how long the Windows NTP Client waits before attempting to re-resolve an unsuccessfully resolved NTP server name, and the verbosity of the NTP Client's event logging.

Hello,

We have the same event id on a lot of our windows xp pro machines. We always logon to a windows server 2003 domain. Why are we seeing this error and can I fix it without going to each machine?

Thanks,
Kurt

It's only easy when you know how.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back