Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Event ID 1147

Status
Not open for further replies.

freaktechnique

IS-IT--Management
Sep 26, 2003
US
Microsoft Exchange Administrator

An internal processing error has occurred: directory information tree error. Try restarting the Admiistrator program or the Microsfot Exchange Server computer, or both.

Microsfot Exchange Directory
ID no: DS_E_DIT_ERROR

I'm getting this error on one server when using Exchange Admin to apply changes to mailboxes. It appears whether the mailboxes are housed on that server or a different one and the error occurs regardless of the size of the mailbox and it is the only error I am getting. Making changes to these same mailboxes from a different server works fine.

8 Exchange 5.5 sp4 boxes on NT4.0 sp6a

Also after a reboot of the problem server the error does not occur for a while. It started doing this yesterday but still backed up successfully last night.

Does anyone have any ideas about what could be going on here? All I find online is for Exch2k regarding mailbox size limits which doesn't seem to apply here.

Thanks

From EventID

From the event it appears to be caused by a rule that cannot be performed due to an error. The MSExchangeIS generates event ID 1147. The event being generated by the IS is pointing to the issue.
Cause: Rule cannot be performed due to a rule attempting to deliver to a mailbox that is over limits (receive limits). Even when the rule is deleted it will continue until all DAM's have been received by the mailbox (duration of a DAM is unknown) in question. This event occurs according to the schedule defined for storage warnings.

The solution requires multiple steps to resolve:
1. Turn up the diagnostic logging to maximum on the Information store for type rules.
2. Wait until the next time that the storage warning is triggered, 1147 will be logged along with additional warnings.
3. In these additional warnings, identify the mailbox in questions.
4. This mailbox was the one that originally applied the rule against the PF.
5. Although the rule may have been deleted, no longer visible, it will persist until the resolution is applied.

Additional Info:
1. The above noted mailbox has exceed it’s limits and cannot accept any new messages.
2. This result in a number of Exchange generated DAM's (Deferred Action Messages). The rule will continue to be processed even if it is deleted until all DAM's have been processed.

Resolution:
The resolution is to remove all limits from this mailbox and wait for a while until all of the DAM's have been processed (i.e. all DAM's sent to the mailbox in question – give it up to 24 hours).

At this point, you should:
1. Either delete the rule (if still visible) and reset the mailbox limits.
2. Leave the rule in place and do not apply mailbox limits to the mailbox in question.

See also:

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq222-2244

Marcs41, thanks I read that too.

It states that it is caused by a mailbox exceeding its' limits and I know this is not the case because I can successfully make the changes on another server, the error occurs on all mailboxes regardless of the size, when the problem exists, and after a reboot the problem server will successfully process the change.

I don't see any errors in the event log relating to mailboxes exceeding limits, in fact I don't see any other errors at all.

It doesn't appear that the DS is corrupted either since the backup last night was successful and no errors are showing up.

I'm not sure where to proceed from here.

I would also check to make sure you priv.edb has not reached a 16 GB limit. This is known to cause many different problems with Exchange. If it is at it's 16 GB limit there is ways around that or you can purchase the Exchange 5.5 Enterprise Edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back