Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Event ID 1000 in Event Log

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR

MIS
Sep 19, 2001
US
Hello,

I created a new domain. First off, when I try to have users join domain, it says no account in domain when there is one. It finally goes through its thing, and I can log into the Domain. Afterwards, I go to the event viewer and there is an entry: Event ID: Windows cannot find user or computer name. Retyurn 1722. The KB from Microsoft suggested DNS in the properties of the client nic, which I did, still getting errors.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

It does sound DNS related, here's some ideas:
- make sure the server (running DNS) is on SP2
- check the server's DNS settings
- make sure you have a reverse-look-up zone configured
- run NetDiag from the Win2K source CD in the support/tools folder.

gbiello,

Thanks for your response. I do have SP2 on the server, but I am not totally confident about the DNS on the server. Maybe you can answer another question. If my ISP is providing DNS, which are the DNS settings I have configured on the server, is there anything else I need to do with that?
Do I need to setup a reverse DNS lookup zone? Do you know of any good articles on setting up DNS on W2K?
Thanks again

I think the NetDiag utility will help the most. I have read several bits and pieces about 2K DNS, but haven't come across anything that is really noteworthy.

I don't think configuring a reverse-lookup-zone will help with your problem, but it's easy, and eliminates some errors from your event logs.

On the DNS server, I usually point the primary back at the server itself (as I've read to do), and the secondary to the ISP. Your clients should point to the local DNS server, and not the ISP. Anyway, I've gotten it to work that way. Someone else may have a better idea.

-gbiello

gbiello,

I did run the Netdiag tool, and DNS is failing. I have read books, articles and still cannot seem to get this DNS server up and running. It is killing me. Do you have any other suggestions on how to set DNS up properly with W2K?

Thanks again.

The most important think in implementing AD is perfect DNS implemetation.You should search for exact procedure on internet and there are numerous location.Sorry
but i cant provide you with specific addressies cause
i dont have them saved.Find it on internet or try to consult
Microsoft offical curriculum.

Hope this was helpfull Sleew
Compaq & Microsoft TS
sleew@infosky.net

Did you run NetDiag with the /fix switch? This should repair the errors it finds. If that does not work. I would remove Active Directory by running DCPromo from the server as well as DNS. Reboot, the reinstall them.

You may want to do a bit of research, as sleew suggests. The only time I've had a major problem with DNS, netdiag /fix took care of it.

-gbiello

Yeah, I ran the Netdiag tool and I got DNS fixed, I think I had a closed port on the router. When Netdiag is ran, DNS is passing, but I get this error/warning in the DNS section
DNS_ERROR_NON_RFC_NAME....
And I am still getting the error 1000 in the event log...

If you are going to remove DNS... don´t forget to empty the DNS-folder in WINNT\system32\dns... if you don´t empty this folder... all your dns configuration will still be there... you need to configure the revers lookup zone... otherwise you can´t enable reverse lookup queries... if this dosen´t work, try to disable and enable the NIC... to get get a new ip-configuration... you also need to have a A record, PTR record and CNAME record in the DNS sever.
To refresh all DHCP leases and re-register DNS names for computers, use the ipconfig /registerdns command.

Sounds like you have nice little problem there. I have had my share of chasing DNS with 2k. There are a couple of good aritcles on DNS at just do a little search. It sounds like you just have one thing awry and its mucking up your works. Sorry I didn't have any direct input.

It seems all is well for the time being. After a OS re-install becasue for some strange reason, I couldn't "demote" the server. I got the DNS side running and netdiag is coming back clean. As far as the event ID error 1000 on the work stations. I was grabbing DHCP from another server with different DNS setting while trying to log into the new DC. All desktops that tried would get that event id 1000 error. Once I entered the new DNS server in the DHCP options, the error went away....
Hope this helps any others with this issue....until next time..thanks all

Lastly. All the workstations are getting out to the internet fine and DNS seems to be fine. But when I do a NSLOOKUP from the workstation, I get:

DNS request timed out
timeout was 2 seconds
Can't find server name for address 192.x.x.x
Default servers are not available
Default server: Unknown
Address: 192.x.x.x

Is this normal? Should it find the DNS server??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back