Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Evaluating Trend Micro

Status
Not open for further replies.

rshendrix

MIS
Mar 5, 2002
I'm currently evaluating Trend Micro OfficeScan. I need anti-virus software for an additional 100 users.

Can anyone share any pro/cons for this product?

I'm currently using McAfee Total Virus Defense, but looking for something a little cheaper.

I used Trend at two other places I used to work, but I've been using McAfee for over 3 years where I am now.

McAfee stinks.

Trend is more stable, Trend puts updates out MUCH more frequently, simpler to to configure, and overall more reliable.

McAfee's EPO seems to be an afterthought to me.

If you have computers at multiple sites, go with the Trend Enterpriose solution. I believe it will allow you to stage distribution files across a WAN pipe once and then have all users update without crushing your WAN pipes.

If you only have one LAN, the "regular" Trend Micro suite is the way to go.

My job would be so much easier if we had Trend rather than McAfee here.

I have to disagree with guod. I will admit that the older versions of McAfee VScan and ePO were harder to maintain, but Version 7.0 Enterprise and later, combined with ePO 3.0 and later are much more stable, allow you to adjust the percentage of processor usage, maintain large numbers of systems across a LAN, and are very helpful in diagnosing problem areas of your network. We had Trend at one of our branch locations and it was my experience that the McAfee updates were usually automatically loaded on our network workstations without any hands on intervention before the Trend users were updated.

I am not saying that McAfee is inherently better or worse than Trend, only that this was our experience, just as guod seems to have had bad experience with McAfee. Our issue may have been because the IT manager at that branch didn't know what he was doing, or that there was some configuration issue that he had not addressed. I don't know. What I do know is that we have had impressive results with the VScan 7.x / ePO 3.x combination.

In short rshendrix, do your homework and make your own decision based on your own evaluation, not on what the rest of us tell you.

Best of luck to you.

[sub]"The Crystal Wind is the storm, and the storm is data, and the data is life. You have been slaves, denied the storm, denied the freedom of your data. That is now ended; the whirlwind is upon you . . . . . . Whether you like it or not."[/sub]

[sup]"Trent the Uncatchable" in The Long Run by Daniel Keys Moran[/sup]

Virus Scan 7.0 and above are much more reliable than 4.5.x, but I've seen as recently as a couple months ago that Trend Micro's DAT files will cover a given virus before McAfee.

I can show you a whole list of E-mails from McAfee that basically say.....We discovered virus X today, but it won't be included in DAT files until next Wednesday...

That's just unacceptable to me, but I guess I'm was just spoiled my Trend Micro putting out a new DAT every day (if necessary)

McAfee is much better than they were 2 years ago though.

Trend above all others.

Sophos after that.

Symantec who I used to hate has gotten in my good graces and doesn't kill Exchange like they used to so I actually recommend them.

Stay away from McAfee. Still.

When Symantec was bad, McAfee was better. McAfee hasn't improved.

Trend very good at..

keeping up to date on signatures.

I think it's the easiest deployment package to the client that I have seen, with a background of McAfee, Norton, Inoculan, and others in the past.

I think the web page gui needs a little work

but from an administrator standpoint it has been rock solid and easiest overall to maintain.

Jeff

You know, another thing Trend needs is a better marketing department or direction.

Their products are rock solid but the names they choose to name their products are IMO a bit goofy.

We've been using Trend OfficeScan, as well as the server and mail protection (with Spam Protection Service) and have been quite happy with its stability, updates and technical support.

It is what I would recommend.

We rolled out Trend Micro Officescan last year to all of our 52 campuses statewide. Before this, each campus was running their own solutions, and some were using no solution at all. At campuses where Norton Corporate was running, we checked that the latest updates had been regularly applied. Then we removed Norton and replaced with Trend. We ran manual scans of all installed computers and found literally THOUSANDS of viruses. Of course, we had expected that because we saw the virus traffic remotely before arriving. Other campuses were running McAfee, Sophos, AVG, etc. Similar results at all of them. Some more than others, but all were bogged down to some degree with viruses. Since installing Trend, our problems have disappeared. I would recommend Trend to anyone as the solution of choice for an enterprise network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back