Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Evaluating the software

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarianoMartinez

Programmer
Feb 11, 2002
US
I am researching a WEB report solution for my company. I would like to know your experiences, good or bad. I have to make the purchase decision within the next couple of weeks.

I have been consulting on Actuate for over 4 years. Actuate is extremely flexible and scalable. It is a very flexible Reporting tool. The only problem with it is that it has a rather steep learning curve. If your company selects it as it's reporting tool, plan on bringing in a consultant and/or Trainer to Train your staff.

They're a starting point. I usually subclass the Actuate Classes into my own libraries a base Library for Company Defaults. Then into more specific libraries. I generally use 3 Base Libaries: a Data Library to hold the default Connections Classes; a Control Libary to hold the base Controls such as Text, Labels ....; And a Layout Library to hold base Group Sections; Report Sections that kind of stuff. I rarely if ever use the Actuate Base Classes Directly.

I also suggest Crystal... it's very powerful and easy to follow.

I've been using cr8.0 for the last 4 months. It is easy to use but lack good documentation on web reporting.
Overall it is easy to use once you learn it. I've learn it on my own, got a book and start poking with it.
I am getting some problem on web reporting but I know I will resolve them. It is a mater of time. CR are coming up with version 9 by the end of the summer.
Give it a try : )

Mariano, in the end what have chosen (or leaning towards)?

we just updated crystal report to 8.5 and crystal enterprise standard.
Well no complain about crystal 8.5 but it ttok us a while to learn enterprise. Their technical support is AWESOME. They help you from an installation issue to web reporting.
Hats off to crystal decisions.

Crystal enterprise is free when you purchase CR 8.5
Crystal Enterpsirse is very good but lack of user control.
Since we got CE standard (for free), to upgrade to CE professional which gives you control of which user has acces to reports... their ce professional starting cost @ 20K (Extremely ridiculous amount). One alteranative is to learn ASP. Which we are doing right now and you have a better control as well. Hope this will help some users to understand the difference between CE and CE pros

i am also evaluating a software for reporting and querying for my company.

marianomartinez : what did u finally decide? is there a way to touchbase with you to discuss?

u can write to isngc@hotmail.com

thanks
sniyer

I've been using Crystal the last three years, and they just upped their asking price to $25,000 with us...we're looking for alternatives, too. So far I've looked at Actuate and ActiveReports as the most viable alternatives, but ActiveReports appears to be much more limited than Crystal. Is Actuate much cheaper than Crystal?

I've just learned Crystal, and have to agree their Tech Support is Excellent.
Crystal Enterprise Standard is "free" (5 users), and you get what you pay for. You need Professional for user control and scalability. There is limited docs for Enterprise

Anyone use Brio Reports? (formerly SQR). I'd be interested in any feedback. Especially in comparison to Crystal.

Thanks,
Steve Tahmosh

Stahmosh:
Yes you are right, you pay what you get for, But I am not paying 20K for CE Professional.
As for docs for CE there is a book out 'The complete Rereference for Crystal 8.5' that explains crystal enterprise in details.
Crystal 9 is due out soon, I spoke with their tech support no release dates yet but pointed out by the end of the summer.
We end up writting VB apps that control reporting users group... full control. CR 8.5 works weel with VB.
No reply needed.
Thanks,
dré

We have opted for Actuate. We are in the process of evaluating the type and method of training we need.

Thanks for all your input.

Mariano:
Last week I ran into rePortal software which could be potential help and can save you a lot of money.
rePortal runs like CE Enterprise Pro that gives you control over the intranet with less $$$$ to pay for.
Check out my Thread on rePORTAL. You will have all the links possible.
I wish we knew about it earlier but we wrote some VB aps to take care of full control.
Check it out it is very promising.
dré

I just have a couple of weeks working with Actuate and I like it. It is really powerful and versatil. I am learing Basic Actuate is similar to Turbo Basic, I have reloved a of problems that I had using Basic Actuate. I recomend you Actuate 6.0

Juan Jose

I wouldlike to know where we can download the eval ver of Actuate Server .

Thanks in advance

Rgds

Paneendra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back