Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Evaluating if Outlook is installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikim2000

MIS
May 23, 2002
CA
How can you evaluate if one has the OUTLOOK program installed? so I can know this before trying to automate the Outlook's application object.

thanks,
ik

not 100% but think you would need to look in the registry! HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->software->microsoft->office->9.0->outlook (or whatever the path is[its not installed on my machine but i figure its in the same place as excel,word etc]) using api. although if this is not what your looking for im sure someone will set you (and me) on the right path!

you could then look at the install path to make sure the registry setting is not dead.

(now i wrote this it seems very complex and hopefully there is an easier way!)

hope this is useful in some way or another!!

The question is why can't you error trap the instantiation of the object and if error you know you cannot use it? You could do this at startup.

Good Luck

Perhaps a search function utilizing the dir function would do this for you. I've not done a search on this, but I suspect if you search this group for the dir function you will get all kinds of ideas. Robert Berman
Data Base consultant
Vulcan Software Services
thornmastr@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back