Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Evaluating Business Partners

Status
Not open for further replies.

kstickler

IS-IT--Management
Feb 18, 2005
US
Does anyone have any info on whether or not Exact does any monitoring or evaluating of their business partners? Seems like a big part of their BP recognition is on "new" sales.

What alternatives does a Macola customer have if their BP just doesn't measure up anymore?

You can use any business partner you like, or an Exact regional office for that matter. There are several BPs that regularly visit this forum.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"What version of URGENT!!! are you using?

This is probably not the place for this discussion, but are there any opinions of BP support versus Macola direct (regional) support?

As a BP I will not offer an opinion, but there are some users who will weigh in I hope.

If you are using Crystal you ought to check out the crystal forums here, they are the best.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

Kstickler:

Your question is very open. By "business partner" I think you mean an official licensed re-seller. You can certainly use them for upgrades and new modules.

But there are many other people with knowledge of Macola. They may not have an official association with Exact, but I have found several local people that are helpful.

Depending on what you want, your best reference may be either a local user group or other local Macola users. (OK, those are 2nd best. The best reference is this site, of course!) Ask your business partner for contact names at other local Macola users. Call them and ask what other resources they have. Again, it all depends on what your specific need is.

I am a 9 year Macola user (no longer on maintainance). I have no affiliation with either this site or any Macola reseller.

I'll weigh in on this one, as I am not a BP or reseller.

In my opinion a reseller (BP) is an important part of a business solution. This role and relationship needs to be well managed, to provide 'value'. But, it is only one piece of a complex arrangement. Don't overlook the other pieces of the puzzle.

- I have a good reseller, but they have limitations and cost.
- I have developed, and continue to develop, relationships with key resources in Exact's support channel.
- The folks on this board are an excellent resource for filling in the gaps - there is a huge wealth of experience here.

I do believe that Exact Software has some internal hierarchy for their business partners. I know my reseller is part of the 'president's club'. So I assume they have a better line of communication into Exact Software. Perhaps someone with more knowledge and experience can define that structure.

But selection of a Partner should be based on their practical experience in your specific business segment. And you need to check references. I would take a less experienced consultant/reseller, if they have successfully delivered applications into a similar type of business.

A consultant with many years of experience in Manufacturing, may miss the boat completely delivering a project into a distribution business.

Many of the established resellers offer packaged add ons to Macola, eSynergy etc. These product offerings help to identify a resellers focus and experience.

Oh, Yeah. Did I say 'check references'....

'Presidents Council' and 'Executive Circle' are the 2 levels of BP at the moment, although this is in the process of changing to Silver, Gold and Platinum level.

These rankings and based primarily on new site sales, but the BP has to be certified as well.

I have personally found that a good VAR is 1,000 times better than Macola support directly for a couple of reasons.

Even though consultants of any kind do cost you, Macola direct support will cost you more.

Macola direct support does not have the personal contact with your business that a good VAR will.

VAR's that are good at what they do can "think outside the box" and offer alternative solutions. Macola does not think outside the pre-programmed Macola world.

If a problem exist that a VAR can not solve then they have alternatives. Speak with another VAR, other company experiences, other users, and even calling Macola Support.

Macola support relies soley on their internal support and has never (to my knowledge) gone outside their own support cycle to solve a problem.

I have personally been able to implement with either My VAR or other consultants, solutions that Macola advised "could not be done". Granted these solutions involved outside programming, flex programming, SQL procedures, user tables, etc, but Macola will never recommend those types of solutions,

These statements are my personal experience as both an end user, Macola consultant, and end user manager. Macola may be changing their thought processes, but I have seen no personal evidence of that.

Just my $.02

Andy Baldwin

"Testing is the most overlooked programming language on the books!"

Ask a great question, get a great answer. Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.
Find out how to get great answers FAQ219-2884.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back