Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Evaluate Two Fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

yukonjack

MIS
Jun 11, 2003
US
Hello all,

I am trying to evaluate two fields in a table at the same time depending on what I have in each field. I will try to explain. I have a TO field and a FROM field each contains a number. What I would like to do is look at the TO field for a record and then look at the FROM field for a particular record that matchs that number and then keep going until it finishes that pattern. For example, if the TO field has a 1 and FROM field has 2 I would look for the next TO record that contains a 2 then that record has the FROM as 5 then I would look for the TO field that is 5 and so on. The unique ID in the table is FROM field. I have tried this in SQL but could not get it to work and suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Essentially what I am trying to do is create a stream network using access to evaluate different watershed scenerios.

What you want here is a SELF join, with the table appearing TWICE in the query grid, and the TO field in the first object linked to the FROM field in the Second object:

Code:
Table 1                Table 1_1
From        |--------- From
To  --------|          To
.                      .
.                      .
.                      .

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for as a finished product, but I think this might get you started....

If not, let us know.

Jim

Don't be sexist - Broads hate that.
Another free Access forum:
More Access help stuff at

I tried this already but it only evaluates it for one go around I need to list the values for the entire stream and that is sometimes 2000 records. I tried doing this several times over but Access gave me a query is to complicated error. Thanks anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back