Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Eudora on home network

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonWilliams

Technical User
Nov 7, 2003
US
Have not installed the program yet. Want to know if I can keep all files on one computer(computer 1) and access from another(Computer 2). Additionaly, would like to be able to transfer all files to the second computer(Computer 2) so as to have all records and history when on long trips and then transfer to computer upon return.

If possible how is it done?

Don

Yes, you can keep your data files on a network share. The installation program asks you for locations for both the program directory and the data directory. And you can simply overwrite your data directory with updated data any time you want.

Thanks for your response. I have the data on computer 1. My next task is to change the data directory to computer 2. The help doesn't seem to address this subject. How can I point the program to another data diretory.

TIA

Don

If the program is already installed, then probably the simplest way is to backup your data (*.mbx files and Attachments directory), re-install the program specifying the new data directory, then copy the backed-up data to the new directory and re-enter your settings. Otherwise it's a mixture of changes to the registry and .ini files and shortcuts.

I found that changing the target in the desktop icon to a

I moved the mail directory from computer 1 to computer 2. I changed the target in the desktop icon to reflect the directory location on computer 2 and changed the deudora configuration file (in the program files\qualcomm\eudora folder to reflect the new location of the mail file on computer 2 and all seems to work. Have I overlooked something major?

Don

That's good to hear.

However, there's also a registry entry which I remember needing to change, though that might not be necessary. The key is "HKCU\Software\Qualcomm\Eudora\CommandLine", the entry is "current", and the value should be "C:\Qualcomm\Eudora\Eudora.exe \\computer2\Eudora \\computer2\Eudora\eudora.ini", changing the paths to suit.

You would also want to make sure that eudora.ini is deleted from the program directory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back