Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ETL tools for study

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiennk

MIS
Jan 25, 2005
SG
Hi all,

I am now working in a DW project for about 1 year. I use Cognos product 7.3 as DW tool and Oracle 9i as database.

My background is Oracle database designer. I start to learn how to design a start schema for DW, as well as design a ETL process. Because I came from oracle database background so when i come to DW, all the ETL i write in oralce stored procedure (PL/SQL).

I dont know any thing about ETL tool. Could any one suggest any free ETL tool for study purpose. And what is the features of commercial ETL tools such as Datastage, informica? Can these ETL tools integrate with my current ETL in Oracle and speed-up the overrall performance?

As far as I know, there are no free ETL tools. Using PL/SQL or its equivalent for other databases is the only "free" way. I have also used 3GL's like COBOL and VB with embedded SQL calls for ETL.

I would venture to say that every ETL tool on the market will work with Oracle since it would be bad business sense not to work with the most popular database.

There are other threads in this forum which contain links to comparisons of ETL tools. Here's one:

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that noboby appreciates how difficult it was.
- Steven Wright

Hi, It is possible to download Oracle Warehouse Builder at the site of oracle. I have no experience with this tool but the download is free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back