Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaw

Technical User
Jun 5, 2001
GB
I want to connect my ethernet and token ring networks.
Both use NWLink IPX.
Use IPX addressing to limit the amount of traffic between the 2 networks.
Do I use a Router?

I might need some help on this one. I would think you would use either a bridge or a brouter on this one. I thought thet bringing two different types of networks togeather would require a bridge. I am not sure. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Terminology in this area has become blurry due to layer 3 switches etc., but you should be able to get a switch with token ring on one port and ethernet on the other. It would still be effectively bridging but we'll call it switching. There's no reason, if they're small networks, not to route it through a server with with one token ring card and one ethernet card. This would be a little cheaper.

mcconmw,
I think these are a question answer scenero. It sounds like homework of some type. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back