Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ethernet up, line down...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2001
US
I cannot get that darn line to come upon Ethernet 0 So I can get this darn router working. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I also cant find info on how to bring it up on a 4000-M router.

James Collins
Systems Analyst
A+, MCP, MCSA, Network+

What do you have on the other end of E0 ??? You need to have something connected on the other end before E0 will go to a up/up condition . If you have something on the other end you have to make sure you have the right cables connecting the router and the device on the other end . also seeing that this is Ethernet interface make sure your device on the far end is set up for 10 meg also , can't be like 100 meg .

I you have a switch on the other end then it is a straight through cable if it is a PC/Server it is a crossover. set the E0 to auto, auto which shold be default.

cisco> enable
cisco# configure terminal
cisco (config t)# int e0
cisco(config t if) duplex auto or full , half
cisco(config t if) speed auto or 10,100

My fualt. Ihad the cable plugged into the wrong port. Now to a different question. I cannot seem to find any information on CISCO's website about updating the IOS of the 4000-M router to IOS 12or better. Can it not be done?

James Collins
Systems Analyst
A+, MCP, MCSA, Network+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back