Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ethernet speed 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaunkep

Technical User
Mar 31, 2000
US
What influences the speed of ethernet?  I hooked up two computers for file transfer using a simple peer to peer connection with 2 10Mb/s ethernet cards.  The file transfer was no faster than using a serial cable and communicating at 115200bps.  Is ethernet communicating slower without a hub or what other possible reasons are there for not getting anywhere close to the expected 10Mb/s?

There's a few things to remember about what you are doing...<br><br>1) The transfer is only going to be as quick as the fastest read or write operation.&nbsp;&nbsp;If one PCs hard disk is quicker than the other, you're going to quickly get into a situation where the disk is a bottleneck.&nbsp;&nbsp;You'll have similar issues if one of the PCs is running, for example, a 486.&nbsp;&nbsp;The CPU has to do the work of receiving the data passed from the Ethernet card to the TCP/IP stack and then decide what to do with it.<br><br>2) Are the network cards PCI or ISA?&nbsp;&nbsp;PCI places less load on the CPU.&nbsp;&nbsp;If one of the PCs is using an ISA card, this is going to be another bottleneck.<br><br>3) Don't forget that Ethernet card speeds are quoted in <i>bits</i> per second.&nbsp;&nbsp;So, 10Mbps is 10000 bps.&nbsp;&nbsp;Your serial port is running at 115200bps.&nbsp;&nbsp;For the simple connection you describe it's possible that you may even get quicker file transfers over the serial cable.&nbsp;&nbsp;However, don't junk the network cards yet!&nbsp;&nbsp;Using network cards gives you more flexibility for how you set up your machines now and in the future.&nbsp;&nbsp;Maybe it's worth investing in some 100Mbps cards at some point in the future if speed is really that big an issue for you.&nbsp;&nbsp;However, for the setup you describe I'd stick with 10Mbps for the minute.&nbsp;&nbsp;It should be more than adequate for peer-to-peer networking requirements.<br><br>4) Finally, it would be possible to get stuck into the real nitty gritty of TCP/IP networking and describe some real good registry hackery for tweaking your IP settings.&nbsp;&nbsp;However, there's an easier way to do this which is to download a utility called MTUspeed.&nbsp;&nbsp;It's available from the usual archives, including TUCOWS.&nbsp;&nbsp;With MTUspeed, you can choose your network connection type, click a button, and restart the PC with good TCP/IP settings for the type of connection you chose.&nbsp;&nbsp;Don't expect miracles from it with Ethernet cards, but it can work wonders with standard dial-up IP.<br><br>So, in summary, start off checking the performance of your PCS, use PCI cards if possible, and tweak your IP settings with MTUspeed.<br><br>Hope this helps :)

1)&nbsp;&nbsp;The one PC in question is a Pentium 133, the other is a Pentium 3, 400.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>2) The Pentium 133 is using an ISA NIC card and the 400 is using a PCMCIA card.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>3) By converting the 10M bits/ second to bytes, that would be 1.25M bytes/second.&nbsp;&nbsp;This should still be (theoretically) more than 10 times as fast as the fastest serial connection, right?<br><br>It seems like the local speeds between processor, hard disk, etc. are all still much faster than communicating between computers, but I don't have a whole lot of networking experience so I suppose it's possible...<br><br>So, in general - networking peer to peer is not any slower than the same two computers using a hub?<br><br>I'll check out the MTUspeed utility you recommend.&nbsp;&nbsp;Thanks.

The protocols that you use can affect the speed.&nbsp;&nbsp;You will get different results if you use NETBUI vs IPX vs TCPIP.<br>The quality of the interconnecting cable can affect the speed.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you have a CAT5 cable then it should be good for 100Mb/s so it shouldn't affect speed results at the 10Mb/s level.&nbsp;&nbsp;The other thing that can appear to affect ethernet speed is your PC itself and the hard drive.&nbsp;&nbsp;In other words it may take 9 seconds to transfer a 50MB file to your PC using 100 Mb/s but by the time it gets through the NIC, routed onto the bus and deposited on the hard drive, you may find that the whole process takes 25 seconds.&nbsp;&nbsp;I know, because these are real world numbers done here where I work.<br><br>You can get around the hard drive problem by using the following batch file:<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;@echo off<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;set $test$=%1<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;if &quot;%$test$%&quot;==&quot;&quot; set $test$=c:\nul<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;:START<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;if exist &quot;%$test$%&quot; del &quot;%$test$%&quot; &gt;nul<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;timethis copy test.zip %$test$% ¦ find &quot;Elapsed&quot;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;goto START<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;:END<br><br>By the way, test.zip is a made up file that we set to exactly 50MB.&nbsp;&nbsp;timethis is an NT resource kit utility that displays the time to perform an operation.<br><br>By the way, it takes about 50-55 seconds to transfer that 50MB file from a server to a workstation with a 10Mb/s NIC.<br><br>Hope this helps a bit.<br><br> <p>Ian Cowie<br><a href=mailto:ianco@email.com>ianco@email.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>"If you see something THIS big, with eight legs, coming your way, let me know. I have to kill it before it develops language skills." - Londo, Babylon 5 <br>
Anyhow, how can I help you, eh?

Ethernet should absolutely SMOKE serial line speeds.<br><br>You have a issue with the ethernet setup alright. I would say<br>check 2 things. I assume you are using a crossover cable<br>to hook the 2 machines together without a hub. If that is<br>true, try to set both cards to 10Mbit full duplex. Dont let<br>them 'auto' the speed or duplex setting. They may not be<br>detecting the other correctly, mostly due to no industry<br>standards for speed/duplex autodetection. Next, if you ARE<br>using a hub, then both cards should default to 10Mbit half<br>duplex, which would be correct. Also, are you using the <br>correct drivers for each card. Sometimes winblows uses a <br>driver it thinks is correct,but is generic or meant for<br>another card. Lastly, you might have a performance issue<br>with the ISA card but I highly dought it.<br>Try running some netstat commands durring the transfer to <br>see if you are getting send or receive errors, like this...<br><br>netstat -e 2<br><br>If errors show up, you have a problem with your ethernet<br>setup.<br><br>Leroy Harvey CCNA, CCDA, MCSE, MCNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back