Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ethernet help

Status
Not open for further replies.

xeryus

Technical User
May 25, 2001
US
I have a 10/100/1000 ethernet card on my RS6000 and it is set to auto_negotiate. Currently it is attached to a 100 network backbone and I plan to attach it to a 1000 network backbone. While the system is up and running, I plan to unplug from the 100 and plug it into the 1000. Do I need to do something to the ethernet card for it to start using 1000 or will it automatically pick it up since it is set to auto_negotiate, once I plug it in?
Hope I made myself clear.
Thank you in advance.

When you unlug the 100 cable, your adapter will go down, and when the 1000 cable is plugged in, re-start the tcpip daemon.

I prefer to force the speed as on my network, I seem to get variances for some reason.

"If you always do what you've always done, you will always be where you've always been."

I think the accepted wisdom is to force 10 and 10/100 adapters for both speed and duplex but to leave the 1000 adapters on auto negotiate.

Most of the gigabit adapters don't give you the option to set it to 1000 half or full, it's just giving you autoneg.

Are you using Jumbo Frames on your Gig-E?
Also, you'll probably set the MTU and xmit queue size on your interface.

Here's the commands:
"ifconfig en0 detach" (assuming en0 is the interface you want to change. You must take down the interface in order to adjust the nic settings - make sure you're not telnet'd in on this interface.)

chdev -l ent0 -a media_speed=Auto_Negotiation -P
chdev -l ent0 -a jumbo_frames=yes -P **if applicable**
chdev -l ent0 -a tx_que_sz=16384 -P
chdev -l en0 -a mtu=9000 -P

check the settings with:
lsattr -El ent0
lsattr -El en0

Restart the interface
smitty tcpip
- or ifconfig

Status
Not open for further replies.