Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ethernet configuration - second router/switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziarkaen

Technical User
Dec 16, 2007
GB
Hi all,

I currently have a simple ethernet network consisting of four computers using all the ports on my Sweex MO250 router/adsl modem. However, now I want to set up a smaller network with two or three computers that is in turn connected to the larger one for internet access. Do I need a switch/router and what configuration do I need? Below is an ASCII representation :p

O U T E R / M O D E M
| | | |
PC1 PC2 PC3 |
|
|
ROUTER #2
| |
PC4 PC5

Any help/suggestions?

Thanks, Ben

If you want PC4 and PC5 to be protected from PC1, PC2, and PC3, then the diagram is correct. You may have SSL issues from PC4 and PC5 and port forwarding for them will need to be done twice.

If you want PC4 and PC5 to share resources to PC1, PC2, and PC3, you want a switch (or Wireless Access Point) where you have router #2

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

So all I need is a simple ethernet switch.
Connect the WAN port on the switch to the PC4 port on Router1.
Connect PC4 and PC5 to the LAN ports of the switch.

Is this correct?

What configuration would need to be done on the router/switch/PCs, because surely the router only allows one IP address per port?

Thanks for quick reply

Yes, if the switch (or the router) is auto polarity (MDI/MDIX) or has an uplink port use a staight though cable, if not use a cross over cable.

If you connect the switch into port 4 of the "router", then it will share whatever IP address is configured on that port. Are you sure they are not switchports (layer 2) as opposed to router (layer 3) ports?

Burt

Ethernet switches do not assign IP Addresses at all. (Usually they are completely unaware of what IP address is on each port) Unless this is some REALLY Pricey Enterprise router, (in which case it is not also a modem) all the 'router ports' are just switch ports. (except the WAN port)

I have it all working now. Turns out I needed to use the three LAN ports on the switch, not the WAN?! Anyway all is working now so thank you for the help!

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back