Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ethernet cards : howto is useless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

perlnewbie

Technical User
Oct 6, 2001
US
i have been trying to install a linksys 10/100 etherfast card on my machine. i just installed redhat 7.0 and have the driver disk for the card. the instructions say to copy the file tulip.o into my /lib/modules/2.2.16-22/net directory and to put a couple lines in my /etc/conf.modules file. (or i have a modules.conf file, is there a difference?) i did all of this and ran the command to update the kernal? but it when i do a netstat -i, all i get is my localhost, and the card is not recognized (eth0) as an interface? have i missed an important step???

thanks much, any help is appreciated...

try to install the modules that U've coppied into /lib/modules/... manually (without giving them into modules.conf and and doing networking restart) with modprobe and insmod.

bubak

I am not an expert with Linux, but to get my cards working, I often have to do this:
/etc/modules.conf
alias eth0 <module> <options>
so mine would look like this for an Intel Pro100:
alias eth0 eepro100 irq=10 io=0x800 (you might not need to specify an io port or irq, I had a conflict, so I entered manually)

then you have give the card an IP address, subnet mask, gateway etc. and activate the card by using either ifconfig or linuxconf (linuxconf is easier if you don't know how to use ifconfig)

This is how I do it with ifconfig:
ifconfig eth0 <ip.address> netmask <subnet.mask> up

Example
ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.100 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
up at the end tells it to activate the interface, to bring it down, replace up with down

If you configure the card with linuxconf these settings will be saved after a reboot, however with ifconfig they would have to be re-entered. There are several ways to do it, I just add the same line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local

Hope that helps

I know this might sound silly but I've found that the easyiest way to get a network card to work under Linux is to use either 3com 3c509 or 3c905...

It just makes life easier.

Yeah, the 3coms are excellent cards, that's pretty much all I will use at work, but I also like the Intel PRO/100 cards. They will match the 3com for performance and they are cheaper as well. And you are right, when it comes to support, 3com cards CAN make life a lot easier, but if they are not available, you have to make what you have work. But hey, that's part of the fun of it!

I must admit I've had a lot of success with Intel NICs under WinNT/2000, but you can't beat 3Com's Lifetime warranty. We just ship any faulty 3com nics in a box and get fresh ones back, no questions... great when you're supporting over 12,000 workstations.

I've never seen Plug and Play work so well as it does with 3Com.

And if it's fun you're after try getting WFW 3.11 workstations talking to each other using unbranded &quot;NE2000&quot; compatible NICs :)

Perlnewbie,

You might want to try this;

Switch user to root;
linux# su -
passwd: **********
then run &quot;linuxconf&quot; without the quotes and goto &quot;Config&quot; >> &quot;Networking&quot; >> &quot;Client Tasks&quot;>> &quot;Host name and IP network devices&quot;.

Enter the hostname of the computer and enable &quot;Adaptor 1&quot;. Don't forget to name the &quot;Net device&quot; as eth0 and &quot;Kernel module&quot; as tulip.

This should update the &quot;/etc/conf.modules&quot; file and restart the network scripts.

Let us know how it goes.

--Moonshi

in etc/modules.conf make sure you have a line that says..

alias eth0 tulip

this should fix the problem we use the linksys 100tx in all our linux computers.

I am using linksys 10/100 etherfast with the tulip.o module under Slackware. It sems to me that the module is loaded from /etc/rc.d/rc.modules by uncommenting the appropriate entry or adding an entry for the tulip.o. I realize the different distributions are set up a little different, but check this and make sure your kernel has support for modules complied in AND enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back