Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ethernet Card Config? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimHorton

Programmer
Jan 29, 2000
US
I've installed RedHat 7.0 and the ethernet card doesn't seem to activate. I'm looking in netcfg and I can't really set up anything on it except the tcp address. I click 'activate', and back in the terminal window it says 'delaying eth0 activation' (or some such thing).

It *is* a pnp card but Linux does not support this?? For whatever reason, this card isn't working, yet this very system on a Win98 boot this card runs fine. Can anyone tell me if there's some sort of lower-level hardware config for this device, where the pnp can be overridden and irq's etc, be set manually?
--Jim

Hi Jim,
In linuxconf, click on Networking > Client tasks > Host name and IP network devices. Then click on the Adapter 1 tab. Down where it says Kernel module, click on the dropdown menu. You should see a list of the ethernet cards Red Hat recognizes. Choose the one that discribes your card. If you don't see it, try ne2k-pci this one seems to be the generic version which uses the most common chipset. I remember I had to set mine up when I was running version 6.2 but I forgot what I did to configure it. Try this and if it doesn't work for you, I'll scratch my head a little harder and see if I can remember how I did it. Sorry I wasn't much help but I'm gettin' old. :eek:)

Rhy,
Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for!
Now, I've trid the different cards and the system seems to hang when the network reload command is run after activating changes. I know mine's a 3c509, and I've tried that ne2000 compatible, all the 3com's but same thing. So I'm wondering if you know which config should be checked: Manual, DCHP, or BOOTP?
Also, is it a critical error when starting linuxconf and it says 'error from redadmin: Locale not supported by C library'? This msg shows in the terminal when I start linuxconf, but linuxconf seems to work fine.
Any more help is greatly appreciated, in the meantime I'll keep fiddling--that's half the fun anyway.
--Jim

3c509.o is your driver module.
#modprobe -v /lib/modules/$kernelversion/drivers/net/3c509
Then :
#ifconfig eth0 $ipaddress $netmask up && ifconfig OR
if you are a dhcp client #dhcpcd -t 20 -q -d eth0
or whatever options you would like from reading `man dhcpcd`

Finally route -vv.
You will probably need to manually configure your routing if you are not a dhcp client.
#route add default gw $gateway

Thanks all,
I've got my work cut out for me tonight...
--Jim
PS--I'm one more step away from Bill Gate's white-knuckled grip on my wallet!

About the Manual, DHCP or BOOTP thing...

If you have a static IP (one that stays the same), and you know your DNS servers IP addresses, You can enter them manually. If you have a dynamic ip address, use DHCP and you ISP will assign the settings. I think BOOTP is for loading from a local net. Use locale_config.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back