Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ethernet architecture migration queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

damo26

MIS
Apr 17, 2002
IE
Hi all,

I am hoping for advice on known issues with migrating from a flat network to a layer 3 network, in an office of 650 users.
If anyone out there has done any thing like this and can advise me on this i would appreciate it.

thanks

Your question isn't very specific. If you don't know how to do it, you should really get some consultants in to advise you.

Cheers Henrik Morsing
Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration
& p690 Technical Support

Thanks Morsing,

We are getting a local telco in to do the work.
I just want to make myself aware of any issues that may arise, so as to avoid being caught on the hop by the telco, who may then pile on the fee's.

Regards

Ok. Do you know what they're going to do?? Did they give you a sketch or a plan of the thing??
How many networks will it be split up in?? How many levels and routers??

Cheers Henrik Morsing
Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration
& p690 Technical Support

Layer 3 means that the network will no longer be nice and flat like it was before ie 1 dhcp server the same subnet accross the board netbeui in use DLC worked all over. Now when you get your person in hopefully they will ask you all the right questions on what protocols are running on you 650 user network. If you have old applications that run on netbuei Novell mainframes complications will be encountered if your person isnt on the ball. If you have pure IP then the most likely problems your going to have is restructuring you IP to work layer 3 and poss visiting all clients if you have manually entered an IP address for an application which is due to change or default gateways are specced the clients not by DHCP start to get the pic.. Now for 650 users you can get away with a flat structure and avoid layer 3 but my guess is your man will recommend you vlan it and then thats when your fun starts. If all your clients are DHCP and all your clients use DnS/Wins to get to server and NO config is held on the local clients ie gateways dns etc then you should have very little trouble migrating pure IP. If you use something like netbuei then migrate asap to TCPIP if poss otherwise if poss keep the clients and the netbeui together on one vlan. If you use DLC to get to a mainframe then your gonna have to do some home work on DLSW etc hopefully this isnt the case but mail back and well go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back