Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ethernet 5-4-3 segment interconnection rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

FernandoV

Technical User
Apr 17, 2001
PA
What is the base for the 5-4-3 rule? (5 segments, 4 repeaters, 3 segments with host connected only) And why is it that I can have 4 hubs connected (daisy chain) and have hosts connected at each hub and not break this rule?

10-base-2 or 10-base-T ? If in doubt get the Ball Pein Hammer out

Is there a difference? I mean ethernet is a standard on both media (10Base2 and 10BaseT). I would imagine it applies to both.

To clarify my question, if there is a different response for each media I would like to know them both, 10base2 and 10baseT

10-base-2 The 5-4-3 rule is 5 segments, 4 repeaters, with 3 segments "populated"
not hosts. Each segment limited to 185 meters.
Ethernet 10BASE-T Rules

The maximum number of repeater hops is four.

You can use Category 3 or 5 twisted-pair 10BASE-T cables. The maximum length of each cable is 100m (328ft). If you have 4 hubs daisy chained, and your runs are short, you'll have no problem at 10mb

Hi I don't know where I got this but it's seems ok.
The "5-4-3" Rule An over-simplified version of the 10 Mbps Model 1 rules, called the "5-4-3" rule, has been circulating for some years. Various forms of the 5-4-3 rule have been published, and some of them include misleading terms that are incorrect. To quote from one widely distributed configuration guide, the 5-4-3 rule means that there may be as many as five segments connected in series in a network. This guide further states that up to four repeaters may be used, and up to three "populated segments." A populated segment is defined as a segment that is "attached to PCs." While this may sound like an easy to remember rule of thumb, the "5-4-3" rule is an over-simplification of the actual configuration rules described above. Worse, the use of the term "populated segment" is misleading. This definition means that a coax segment could be regarded as an "unpopulated" segment in a network system as long as two conditions were met. First, the coax segment was not used to support PCs and, second, the segment was only used as a link segment to connect to a repeater at each end. However, this is incorrect. A link segment is specifically defined in the 802.3 standard as a segment based on a point-to-point full-duplex media type that connects two--and only two--MAUs. A full-duplex medium means that the medium provides separate transmit and receive data paths. This is important, since collision detection occurs faster on a full-duplex medium than it does on coaxial segments. This difference in timing is factored into the total round-trip timing delays that are incorporated in the Model 1 configuration guidelines. That's why the notion of an "unpopulated" coax segment that could be used as a link segment is misleading and incorrect. To recast the 5-4-3 rule into something closer to reality, we can define it to mean that you can have up to five segments in series, with up to four repeaters, and no more than three "mixing" segments. If three mixing segments are used, then the remaining two segments must be link segments as defined in 802.3. Actually, you can have up to four mixing segments under some circumstances as described in the real 802.3 rules above, so even our corrected 5-4-3 rule is still an over-simplification.

Bob ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back