Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

eth0, eth1 and ethernet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

T8keiteasy

IS-IT--Management
Nov 28, 2006
FR
Hi,

I'm running ubuntu 9.04 on my D510 Dell laptop.

I have only one network interface.
Network connection shows only eth0, bu interfaces listed in netqork tools show eth0 and eth1.

When I connecte the laptop to the network, it seems that traffic is on eth1 and not eth0.

The problem is, I can't ping or be pinged. The interface is not connected to the network (but the cable is, of course).

I'm a linux newbie, but not in networking.IP adresses are fixed, mask alos of course.

Why do I have eth0 and eth1 ?
How could i connect it to the network ?
Could you help ?

Thanks

Now, it's about French users too !!!

Run 'ifconfig' from a terminal. It should show you the interfaces, along with supporting information. Typically, eth0 and eth1 would refer to separate ethernet ports, but one could be an alias of the other. If they have the same HW address, then one is an alias.

If this is the case, it sounds like you have a setup error. Googling on the subject of alias IP address should point you to enough how to articles to show you how to correct the configuration files.

Does your laptop have a wireless networking interface?

A wireless interface should show up as wlan0, when an ifconfig is run. The declaration of ethX is for a wired port.

did you activate the connection?
move the mouse over the network icon in taskbar, choose the eth0 connection and activate it

M. Knorr

MCSE, MCTS, MCSA, CCNA

yep, its late here,
edit the etho connection, mark autoconnect and for all users, disable the same on eth1

M. Knorr

MCSE, MCTS, MCSA, CCNA

Help!!! I am new at the Linux CentOS. I am charged with updating my kid's school ADP setup. I am looking into the CentOS Server and Desktops.

Currently setting up the server on a Dell Dimension 5150 with the CentOS 5.3. I used the 6 disks and having the problem on getting all the drivers set up. Where can I find the drivers for the Dell Dim 5150? I downloaded Firefox via Windows and it will not install until I get the NIC fixed. The NIC is the Linksys NC100, LNE100TX.

I really would like to get this up and running. I have ordered the CentOS Bible, should I wait for the book with the DVD inside or is there a one-stop-shopping for the drivers? I downloaded the CentOS 5.3 DVD.iso and rec'd the same issue, no "Tulip.o" or any connection via the onboard NIC or the Linksys LNE100TX.

I do appreciate any help on this. My time with school may be limited, getting this and the other CPU's in the school up and running is a priority for me.

Thanks

Ed

Please start your own thread rather than hijacking someone else's.

Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back