Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

/etc/resolv.conf is empty

Status
Not open for further replies.

keak

Programmer
Sep 12, 2005
CA
Hi there,
I am on a debian system and currently in my /etc/resolv.conf file, I only see the line

# generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!

without any entries defined.
I do have nameservers info in my /etc/network/interfaces, and even after restarting /etc/init.d/networking restart, I am getting an empty file.

If I manually add nameserver entries into /etc/resolv.conf, i am able to traceroute to domains correctly.

However, I am not sure it is a good idea; this seems to be a temporary fix. If I do a reboot on the system, am I likely to loose the information in /etc/resolv.conf and also where exactly is this NEtworkignManager ? Is it talking about the /etc/init.d/networking service ?

thanks,

My understadning is that /etc/resolv.conf is the place to store all your DNS and search order addresses.
It is persistent after a reboot.
The entries should appear as;
search <domain>
nameserver <ip-address>

agree that resolv.conf file is persistent.
the comment may be that some application COULD potentially over-write the file... just don't run that app if you don't want surprises.

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

NetworkManager is primarily intended for desktop use. If you're only using the machine as a server, you probably don't want it installed, as it can certainly overwrite /etc/resolv.conf, (which is generally the right place to set nameservers on a server).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back