Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections# 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

1in10

Technical User
Jun 29, 2014
BR
Sorry for putting this thread unde Unix, but I could not find the equivalent for the linux corner here. It is about the following:
I need a hint for my usage of debian wheezy 7.8 (desktop Kernel 3.2.0-4 and Gnome) to finally edit one specific file with nano. It is about choosing one DNS in the network manager. Therefore I read to edit the following file
/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections# Wired connections 1

By typing as root # cat Wired connections 1

there is literally an empty terminal. Looking at it, I already changed the rights with chmod -R, just to be sure it is writable, there still is an empty screen in the root terminal when typing

nano Wired connections 1

It ain't empty, thats for sure.

With gedit I can see what I'd like to change, the following line from the file mentioned above

[ipv4] method=auto dns=123.456.78.90; ignore-auto-dns=true may-fail=false

I want to change

ignore-auto-dns=true

into

ignore-auto-dns=false

But as nano shows me just nothing, cat does the same, I can't figure out how to get it done, without creating much trouble.
Anyone who got a hint how to do this? Thanks in advance. Still looking for clues. And yes, package python-dbus is installed.
Have a little mercy for the missing code-quotes, they did not result in the desired output here, thats why I put them in bold letters. Excuse me.

Does the file name really have spaces in it? That works in the Windows world, but under any kind of Unix/Linux, it will give you nothing but headaches.

When you give the command "[tt]cat Wired connections 1[/tt]", the [tt]cat[/tt] command is trying to output three different files, "Wired", "connections", and "1". Since those three files don't exist, it displays nothing. You should be getting an error message though. Or, three error messages.

Try putting single quotes around it...

Code:
cat 'Wired connections 1'

Thanks a lot, single quoting, I understand. Once again for crossing on the unix platform, as I use as well bsd and depending on the machine I am sitting on, that is why I sometimes get crisscrossed myself. Again, thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back