Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ESXi with vmotion and DRS 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhidalgo

MIS
Jun 13, 2001
US
Does anyone have esxi running with vmotion and DRS enabled. I am told that this is not supported. I thought you could just by add on licenses for these functons. The DELL VMware rep told me i must upgrade to esx enterprise to have this function. I already have VC server.

Thanks
Nick

Once you have a license, you download the ESX software to "upgrade" your ESXi software. Just like an OS upgrade. Once upgraded it will no longer be ESXi. All VM's and configs should stay in place.

thanks for the info, now need to spend some $$$ to upgrade to esx enterprise.

Nick

ESX Enterprise is a license model, not a product. The actual name of the license model is VMware® Infrastructure 3 Enterprise

All you do is add the license to your license server, add the ESXi host to your vCenter inventory and insert it into your cluster object. Confirm the server consumes a vMotion license and off you go. It will always be ESXi, there is no software to "download", any agents required for your licensing model are pushed to the ESXi server from the vCenter server. The only upgrade you will be doing is the upgrade to your licensing model, no software upgrades.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple[/color red] Novell Platinum Partner Microsoft Gold Partner
VMWare Enterprise Partner Citrix Gold Partner

I was thinking of the VC server piece that manages the ESXi servers. My apologies. But if you are going to run full blown VMware Enterprise, I would think you would want to just use the ESX software. the ESXi is for startups and the new feature of ESXi embedded (on a USB internal flash drive) for OEM server distribution to reduce costs for customers.

The question is; once the VM Center server is enterprise licensed for however many hosts and processors you have, is there a major benefit of using the full blown ESX server software on the Hosts or just using the free ESXi that is installed or comes with the server hardware?

ESXi is free because M$ is also giving away their hypervisor and VMWare has made excellent plans to complete head to head with M$ in the virtualization market.

Neither ESX 3.5 nor ESXi have an advantage over the other functionality wise. They do have their differences that would make one preferred over the other by the system administrator. It all depends on what YOU as the system administrator prefer.

Here is a datasheet that compares the two
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple[/color red] Novell Platinum Partner Microsoft Gold Partner
VMWare Enterprise Partner Citrix Gold Partner

Start for ya!! Thx!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back