Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ESX host issues in HA cluster

Status
Not open for further replies.

antnic

MIS
Aug 6, 2001
NZ
Hi all, i am having a really werid issue with a new esx HA cluster.
this is a very recent build, using sphere on bl460 blades, with e5540 chips and 30 something of memory, also has qlogic hbas and additional network ports. Standard card is a 10Gbe card not sure if there is a known memory leak using the standard driver.

right my issue is this, the servers all work fine for around a week, then one by one (if they are not rebooted) will show up as disconnected in virtual centre, if you try to ssh to the server it won't bring up a prompt, if you try to see what is happening on the console, you can't login as it will not display a prompt. The vm's stay running (changed setting in HA) and you have to shut them down and then reset the host to bring the host back online in the virtual centre console.
I have so far increased the service console on each of the hosts to 800mb, double checked fibre and network connections to see if there are any issues and also added a second service console (now removed) to see if that would resolve the issue... I am now at a loss
I will be trying HP on Monday morning to see if they have any clues.

Anyone come across this before ???

there is no additional software or agents that have been installed

Do you have support from VMware? I'd give them a call. If the console isn't coming up, then something is going on with the host OS somewhere.

When this happens can you ping the host?

Denny
MVP
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back