Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Establishing a dial-up connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

xlh1000

Technical User
Aug 6, 2008
US
I have installed Ubuntu 8.10 desktop edition, and i cannot get a dial-up connection to work.
I have tried the following:
1)networking option
2) gnome ppp
3)wvdialconf & wvdial
4)pppconfig & pon/poff
I also have Kubuntu 8.10, but i have not tried it.

I have it installed inside of windows, not the full install. Is this where i may be experiencing my troubles?
What is easier to establish a dial up connection with, Gnome or KDE?

I have a Dell Optiplex GX-260. Windows XP Pro, service pak 3.
The modem is a Sterling Communications 56K V.92 Internal Faxmodem. I know some modems may not be compatible. Not sure if this is one of them.

thank you.

Here is an example of what i have encountered so far. Being a complete newb to Ubuntu, i have no clue as what to do with the commands or errors i receive.
I will outline my progress (or lack of) in each attempt until i have gone through the 4 methods i am aware of to get a dial up connection working, starting with #4.

4) using pppconfig & pon/poff

Sudo adduser (my name) dip
(says i am already a member of dip)

Sudo adduser (my name) dial out
(says i am already a member of dial out)

# connect to the isp configured as (my isp)

pon (my isp)
(after entering pon & my isp, i get this message)
'The file /etc/ppp/peers/my isp does not exist.
please create it, or use a command line argument to use another file in the /etc/ppp/peers/ directory.

#disconnect the isp configured as (my isp)

poff (my isp)
(after entering poff, i get this message)
/user/bin/poff
no pppd is running. none stopped.

When i refer to (my isp), yes i understand that my actual isp goes there. :)

How do i go about creating the the file /etc/ppp/peers/?
When i typed /etc/ppp/peers/ into the terminal, it replied "/etc/ppp/peers/ was a directory".

Thank you.

Thank you BadBigBen.

I installed the modem and installation software myself a few months ago due to the fact that this computer only had a high speed connection. I can only get dial-up where i am at.

The modem is detected. It is what i am using right now.
Or did you mean is it detected by Ubuntu? That i do not know.

For now, i am off to read the link you have provided.
The difficult part is switching from xp to ubuntu and back again trying to get a dial-up connection, while using the same computer.
Control C/Control V don't work like this, so i can only bring what i write or remember. :)

Thank you for the reply.

One way to go around this would be to use an USB stick, where you can save a text file (.TXT), there you could copy and paste stuff from the XP session, and read it in Ubuntu and vice versa...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Sorry, forgot to mention, Yes I did mean Ubuntu when I talked about modem recognition and driver install, since that is where you are trying to get this to function...

it might just turn out that the modem you are using is not compatible to Linux at all, and here you might be out of luck...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back