Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Essential Network Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJSpinja

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2002
US
Hello Everyone,

I am setting up a network for a small business and would like to get opinions on what people think are the essential tools/software that every small business network should have. The network will have about 30+ users and the server will be running Win2k. I'm not looking to secure the network like the pentagon (obviously due to cost, practicality, etc.) but will take the neccesary steps to ensure that the network will be able to detect and defend itself from known common threats. I have a decent amount of knowledge on setting up and securing networks, but would really appreciate input from everyone to make sure all my bases are covered.

Thanks in advance for you input.

One "Pro" product that I would highly recommend is Winternal's software. That have a variety of software packages that have saved us several times. See
They also have a free site that has some very good tools. See James P. Cottingham

When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.
[tab][tab]Albert Einstein explaining his Theory of Relativity to a group of journalists.

Something else I use is TightVNC. It's a free remote software. I have it installed on 250 machines, and when someone calls for help, I just log onto there machine from my desk and work on there machine. Easy to use, good timesaver. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

"There is only one good: knowledge; and only one evil: ignorance."
Socrates (470- 399 BC); Greek philosopher.

Thanks for the input James and Glen. How secure is TightVNC? Would you recommend using the software to remotely access from outside of your network or is it a tool that you would only use internally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back