Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ess modem no dailtone

Status
Not open for further replies.

etrix

Technical User
Jun 11, 2000
US
I have tried all the posts above. I have an ess internal voice fax isa modem. I tested the modem and the phone line.
The modem shoes up in the control panel in com port 4. There are no conflicts. Com 4 doesn't show in the device manager only com 1 and lpt 1. I put this modem in the isa where the last one was. What is usung com 1? What can I try next? Thanx for your help. Ed

Ess has known problem with "no dial tone" issue on certain laptops. They won't dial out after the date Feb. 2001. There are new drivers to download from If you have access to another computer download the drivers for your particular modem. To find what that is, Right click on My Computer. When window opens, click on Device Manager. Look down list to find Modem. Click the + sign on the left hand side and your modem will be listed. Click on your modem and select properties. This will show your modem. Write down all information on your modem. Click on the drivers tab and write down current driver now installed. You can now go to Ess website and find your particular drivers. Download these and unzip them to the unzipped file. Then go to that file and execute the program. Let drivers install. Restart your computer.Then go back into the Device Manager (as before above) and and check to make sure new drivers are installed. As for your notebook not showing a Com 4 port, from what I have read sometimes these modems will be installed in what is a "virtual" port. I have the N3410 Pavillion laptop and mine shows in the Com 3 port and I also don't have a Com 3 listed. I have been working on getting my laptop modem to work for quite some time now. I have been in contact with Ess and done all kinds of tests in hyperterminal and am still having problems. I have to unintall and reinstall my modem each time I want to dial out. After getting out, I'm okay until I shut down the computer. When I restart, I get the message, "line is busy" even when my phone line is working fine. This is driving me crazy to say the least. From what I've read from different postings and modem help sites, the Ess is not a good modem. It is very unreliable. At this point I am considering a new modem. I hope this has helped you some. I found your posting right after you posted it and bookmarked it. I have returned time after time hoping someone would help you and that it might also help me. (Until I did the tests in hyperterminal, I too had the "no dial tone" error and couldn't dial out.) I can see no one has answered you and I'm not sure anything I've told you will help but I know how frustrating this problem is! If you have gotten anything figured out, please post it here as it may still help me. Also out of curiosity, what type laptop do you have with this same problem?

Thanx Luji, I tried a different modem and it worked fine. Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back