Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ESS Issue..

Status
Not open for further replies.

vasuharish

Programmer
Jan 7, 2007
AU
Hi,

I have a question re ESS setup. When I run the SAT command 'display system-parameters ess', I get a error message "ess is an invalid entry". I do get valid output from "status ess clusters" and "status ess port-networks". I am running ACM release 3.0. Strange as it is only a "display" and not a "change system-parameters ess" command that I am using.

Any ideas? Looks like it could be a license related one. Is there anything specific I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance
-Vasu

Assuming your ESS licenses are ok, you need to run "configure server" from the maintenance web interface and tell the system it is an ESS main server (if it is).
Be carefull with configure server, if you make a mistake you can seriously scr*w your system. Make backups before changing anything!

I can also strongly recommend reading the ESS manual :)

I don't believe "display system-parameters ess" is a legal command. If you enter "display system-parameters help" it will show you each qualifier that is allowed for the command. Having a "change" command doesn't necessarily mean there will be a corresponding "display" command.

Use the "test license (long or short) command. Or as nknook recommended, check out the ESS manual. It lists some license commands you can run from the Linux shell.

I have checked out the ESS manual. Ran the 'test license' command and it passed. The manual actually lists using the "display system-parameters ess" to verify all that has been set up. So it should be valid, I think.

Yes, I am aware that ess does not show up in the options for "display system-parameters help" command. So hence my question as to what else is needed to be provisioned in order to be able to see ess support. I noticed that user nknook suggested that "Assuming your ESS licenses are ok", what precisely does this mean?

Any specific suggestions/commands will be most appreiciated.

Thx
-Vasu

I'm not trying to flame here, but honestly if you have read the ESS manual* you wouldn't be asking these questions.

Enough ranting :)

In ESS you have main servers and backup servers. ESS is enabled via license file, and if you have the correct license, some ESS options will be enabled if you look at the system-params customer-options.
For the Main server: only "ESS Administration" should say "y",
and for the Backup server(s): both "ESS Administration" and "Enterprise Survivable Server" should be set to "y"

If this is the case, you should run "configure server" like I said before and set the server-id's and tell the server whether it is an ESS Main or Backup server (make backups before changing a thing!!)

You may need to do a "reset system 4" before things will work. After running the "configure server" part, the system-params ess should be available.

* are you sure you have this document: 03-300428 ? It's part of the CD docs. You can also enter this number in the search field on the support.avaya.com site to get the newest version.

Just a quick information,
ESS option with CM 3.0 is not stable.
It's become stable only with CM 3.1.2 load 632.1

Telecom Administrator

I've had much better luck with my ESS after upgrading the Firmware on my IPSI's to 36.... (On CM3.0)

Certainly. I wasn't sure what "legethi" was referring to as the ESS not being stable until on 3.1. My issue was with the ESS kicking in way too soon. IPSI firmware upgrade to Version 36 resolved the issue and it now waits the allotted time before taking over control of the network.

Refer to more detail in this thread: thread690-1230275

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back