Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ESRP and looping protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertvil

Technical User
Jul 12, 2004
DK
Hi,

I have 2 summit48Si switches I want to cluster with either ESRP or VRRP.

Hosts will be directly attached to the switches and they are configured with Broadcom SLB teaming with 2 nics each.

Nic1 is connected to switch1 (master) and nic2 is connected to switch2 (slave). This will work if switch1 fails and the switch cluster failover to the slave. But what if the primary nic1 on the server fails and failover to nic2. Then the server tries to parse traffic through switch2 which is slave and stops all traffic forwarding.

I read extremeware supports Host-Attach Mode which allows ports with enabled Host-Attach on the slave switch to forward traffic. This should solve this problem right?

Does vrrp support anything like this? I believe not.

As far as I can see ESRP use it´s own looping protocol EAPS. I need to create trunks to 3. part switch venders and of cause I need loop protection here. Can RSTP and EAPS coexist or how would I do this?

The reason I want to have the 2 switches clustered is because I might need some Vlan routing done by the extreme switch. So in case of failure I need a backup device.

How do I enable portfast on a switchport?

Is it possible to enable BPDU filter pr. port basis instead of enabled/disabled it for the complete switch?

I´m new to extremeware, so there might be some stupid questions.

Regards
Robert

On extremeware you can only have 1 redundancy protocol running, so no you can't have STP and ESRP. Try using EAPS VRRP, eaps will handle the L2 and VRRP the L3.

EAPS and ESRP are separate redundancy protocols, EAPS is just a L2 protocol, whereas EARP is L2 and L3. EAPS/VRRP is what our SE recommended to us in VoIP application due to the speed at which is fails overs.

hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back