Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ESEUTIL

Status
Not open for further replies.

gau17

IS-IT--Management
Mar 11, 2004
US
I'm trying to run eseutil on my exchange. The database is on the D:\ and has plenty of space. My C:\drive on the other hand does not have enough space for the temp files.

How can I specify where the temp files can be created. I get disk out of space error when performing eseutil /d

Why are you attempting to defrag?

Have you done ANY research, such as eseutil /?

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP

I was using eseutil /d. My problem is I do not have enough space to perform it. It requires to have 110% space available.

My question is: is there a way I can perform this maintenance on another location that has more space available?

Your question was already answered. eseutil /?

But you haven't answered ours. WHY ARE YOU DEFRAGGING THE DATABASE?

Microsoft Exchange MVP

becuase I have added & deleted acounts with large size mailboxes.

Adding them makes no difference. The server will reuse the whitespace created by deleting the large mailboxes. In fact, it's more efficient in doing that that when it has to expand the database.

Microsoft Exchange MVP

Misuse of offline defrag is a common problem., If ALL of the follow ing are true;

1. recently deleted all instances of a large amount ouf mail.

2. This is reported as whitespace in the event id 1221

3. it is never ever going to come back due to growth, adding users, etc.

4. You are running standard or SBS and cannot create another store.

5. The physical size of the db files is close to exceeding the size of disk.

6. The logical size of the database is close to the limit for your version of exchange,

You might consider, as a temporary work around/one time event, an offline defrag. Are all of these criteria true in your case?

5. The ph

xmsre said:
5. The physical size of the db files is close to exceeding the size of disk.
or at least reaching the size of the disk. Haven't figured out how to exceed it yet. :)

Microsoft Exchange MVP

XMSRE

#1 and #6 apply to me. My database size is 73GB and my available space is around 15GB.

That's not enough reason, IMHO. By removing a large amount of mailboxes and/or mail, you've created whitespace in the db. Whitespace is NOT A BAD THING. Exchange will reuse that space. There isn't a need to defrag (certainly not a reason to take the entire system offline for HOURS just to compact it).

Microsoft Exchange MVP

That's correct; unless the mail is PERMANENTLY gone, exchange will reuse the whitespace before growing the size of the database. There is no need to do an offline defrag.

should I just run esutil to check for errors?

so if exchange is working I should not touch the database at all?

I wouldn't use eseutil unless there are signs of problems. And those will likely show up in the event logs.

Microsoft Exchange MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back