Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ERS 3500 fiber ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

gknight1

Programmer
Jul 27, 2006
US
We have a customer that currently has 4 buildings on their property with fiber going to them all jumping from building to building, each one connected to a 3524GT-PWR via GBIC. The customer is adding another building looking to complete a fiber ring around the property. Right now I just have all the VLANs tagged on the ports that have the fiber plugged in. How do I program the 2 ports that will be connecting the fiber ring to prevent a loop? Do I need to change how the ports are currently programmed on the uplink ports now?

Not sure exactly what version the switches are on, think most of them are 5.2. I can upgrade if needed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you have the same VLANs all the way around you will create a loop for sure. What I have done in this scenario, is setup unique routed WAN VLANs between the sites. I am not 100% sure which Layer 3 protocols that specific box supports, but this is how I have done it and it works just fine.

they have the same vlans on all switches. based on response on other forums, it looks like RSTP is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back