Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Errors while Running the Created EXE File 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

shivam89

Programmer
Feb 15, 2002
IN
I have developed a package in the E:\ABC\PRG Directory
while creating the EXE File, I put C:\ABC\EXE Directory
as the Home directory in th Project File. In side the program I set the path for the C:\ABC\EXE and C:\ABC\DATA Directory. I included DEVELOPMENT = OFF in the CONFIG.FP File

At the User End, created a Directories C:\ABC\EXE (to Keep the EXE Files, ESo, ESL Files) and C:\ABC\DATA (to keep the DBF Files). I set path tin the AUTOEXEC.BAT File for C:\ABC\EXE Directory. Kept the CONFIG.FP in the c:\ABC\DATA Directory

While running the the EXE Fiel from the DATA Directory. The system checks for the E: Drive and displaying the error message "E: Drive not ready Retry Ignore? The E: drive at the user's end is CD DRive and it has nothing to do with my program.

Please help me in solving this as I have been under tremendous pressure from my client to solve it.

K.Paramasivam

Been so long since I ran into that I forgot the immediate fix, but I'm sure someone else will jump in and answer.

The long term fix is never, never, ever, hard code directories into your program. Create a database and populate the fields with the directory names. Declare some memory variables as public and call a routine that populates the memvars. Then when you want to open a dbf, you use the string to open it

use (fcSysDbf + "CUSTOMER.DBF") alias CUSTOMER order ID

This way you can move the exe from drive-to-drive / computer-to-computer by changing a database.

Example program
David W. Grewe
Dave@internationalbid.com

In my package created in FoxPro for DOS 2.6, I am getting an Error "ILLEGAL SEEK OFFSET". Can anybody help to get rid of the problem?

I ran into this problem often.

I never hard coded my directories into my code and the problem would appear whenever I attempted to launch the applicaton. It acted as though something got compiled into the EXE file that referenced the development drive. I didn't know of a fix so I ended up moving my development environment to my C: drive and the problem went away.

Hopefully someone else knows of a fix that doesn't require moving the Fox development environment. But if not, then moving it will work.

Good Luck,
jrbbldr
jrbbldr@yahoo.com

One *other* thing (maybe left field)....Always compile a 26 exe on the "C:\" drive. Compiling on other drives results in funny behaviour of the exe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back