Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Errors occured as soon as Service Pack 4 being applied Win2K Prof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 2, 2007
US
I had tried to figure out the proper way to apply SP4 to several Dell PCs installed with original Windows 2000 Prof. As soon as SP4 is applied the PCs will result frequent Crashes (Blue Screen of death). One strange thing is the SP4 upgrade will change the boot configuration values in PCs. I went over the installation process 4-5 times and got the same issue. By the way, the PCs are old Dell (P3/GX1). Any idea/suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. VongNam.

You need to find out what is causing the problem. Do you get any information from the BSOD screen?
Can you get in via safe mode? If you can you could have a look at the event log, this may give an indication of what is going on.

My guess would be the chipset drivers. Id see if they have any new ones available. If so install them then run the sp4 installation.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back