Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Errors in CSS or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiteflyer

Programmer
Dec 11, 2003
US
I am using CSS to set up a simple page, and I add several "layout table" areas, then fill them with a cell, so that I can insert an image.

I fit the images exactly - everything works. Then I decide to split a table layout, usually into two pieces vertically. Now when I view in the browser, the tables below are moved downward, altho everything looks right in DW.

This is driving me crazy. Shouldn't DW show what will be displayed in the browser? And why is it moving the tables around?

Further, editing the stylesheet does not necessarily change the font size - in fact, often I get a message "stylesheet edited outside DW". What? I'm using DW to edit it.

Any help greatly appreciated....JP Harrison

More on this problem. DW using stylesheets does not recognize borders properly. If you have a cell, and you apply a stylesheet class to it, and that class has a border, the cell will be expanded the amount of the border, but only in a vertical direction.

Frankly, this is a terrible error. It makes using borders in stylesheets completely unusable.

Any ways to make it work?

Thanks....JP

kiteflyer, maybe the problem isn't with the stylesheets but with the table width attribute. If the table width is smaller then the space used sometimes the browsers pushes everything to the left, up, down.

Can you post some code, or a link so we can see??

[sub]

It turns out that there was a bug in DW MX 6.0 - I patched in the 6.1 upgrade, and almost all the errors disappeared.

There are still some issues regarding cell borders. DW doesn't always handle borders correctly, particularly in the vertical direction. The display in DW is not the same as it will appear in a browser. If you have this problem, it's probably in the way you split up the cells AFTER adding content. Sometimes the only way to fix it is to start with a clean page.

Secondly, DW may adjust the dimensions of your tables and cells slightly, especially if you make changes to a complicated layout. This is a bug, but most of the time you can live with it. I handle this by viewing the result in the browser after even the most minor change to the layout, and backing up one step if it's wrong.

JP

there is nothing wrong with DW - it is the CSS file and how each browser interprets it. Some properties apply other donts....borders have always been there and worked properly.

"There are still some issues regarding cell borders. DW doesn't always handle borders correctly, particularly in the vertical direction."

what issues? from CSS perspective DW doesn't handle any BORDERS at all! it handles cells and your CSS dictates the borders...now if use CSS+table properties of border=1 +border color...well of course things will look crazy...but then we are talking about secret funtion builtin in DW:
Ctrl+Alt+Del goto:repleace user
All the best!

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back