Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error: Your computer could not be joined to the domain because the fol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I'm trying to get a laptop running 2000 Proff, to join the domain running on a 2000 Adv Server PDC.

Following typing in the domain name, when you get the "type the usern & psswd of an acount to join the domain", I get the error:

"Your computer could not be joined to the domain because the following error has ocurred: The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials."

which is odd as I am the Systems Admin and I know my own credentials to be fine. [unless the error is refering to the machine I'm trying to get into the domain? I have tried removing and replacing the machine to the domain + changed the name etc] Any ideas why this is happening?
I have tried a few obvious things but no luck.

Thanks.

I have had this happen to me a few times as well. Try removing the machine from AD. Putting the machine back in the workgroup and then re-joining the Domain.
If it asks you about "use the follwing credentials" or whatever say no and see what happens

I have experienced this a number of times and it is usually related to accessing some file or service from the domain controller previously during the same logon session. Despite asking for the credentials to join the domain, it won't use those credentials if another set of credentials have been used to access a file or service. Even if an anonymous account was used. To fix the problem, restart your computer, log in and join the domain first thing before doing anything else. Kevin Mattson
MCP

dumb one. Are you using your ADMIN credentials from the laptop or from the DOMAIN ADMIN.
Try also DOMAINNAME/login name. This format is used for pre-w2k nodes.

thanks for all the help you lot!
i deleted the computer and useraccount i created for the laptop from AD. this got rid of the "conflict with an existing set of credentials" error. a bit odd i'd say cos it did seem like it had a problem with the admin credentials but now it is clear it was the user account i created...strange

but now i seem to be having problems with sql server 7 user accounts which is running on the same box...a previously created sql account for the laptop user now suddenly does not allow access to the sql server, also dns entries don't work??? who knows what else was affected.

can anyone point me to a good general info source on the topic domain accounts - it seems i have a few more lessons to learn here...

thanks again

I had the same problem. Went to ad and did a search on the entire directory, because the user wasn't showing up in ad, but the conflicting account error came up. Found the user account in a security folder. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com

"It is never too late to learn what is always necessary to know."
Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4 BC - 65AD) Roman philosopher, statesman.

just make sure that the workgroup and domain do not have the same name - had that problem and got the same error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back