Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error with SmartArray 5300 on Startup on ML530

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmbunz

Programmer
Oct 23, 2004
US
We just purchased a new ML530 server and a SmartArray 5300 card. We installed the card and upon starting the server, we receive an error.

Right at the beginning when it is initializing the Smart array, this is the error we receive:
1775 - Proliant Storage Enclosure Not Responding
SCSI Port 1: Check Storage Enclosure power switch and cables.
1785 - Slot 7 Drive Array Not configured , no drives detected.

I checked everything and nothing seems damaged.

When we start up the smartstart 5.10 CD and run the Hardware config, we set the array controller - controller order to First.

On the bottom of the config, we have 2 choices that say , "embedded , compaq wide-ultra2 scsi controller (port1)" and the other says the same but port 2.

I dont know if this is an issue but when I try to run the array config a error message pops up and says:
There are no physical drives attached to the compaq smart array 5300 controller in slot 7.
One of the following could be the problem:
-There are no supported drives attached to the controller.
-A data cable has a bad connection.
-2 or more drives have duplicate SCSI ID's.
-Power to the external drives is off.
-The OS Array controller driver is missing.

We are stumped and do not know what to do. Please help?

Thanks

It's been a while since I last configured an ML server with an add-on Smart Array. However, I always had to manually move the scsi cable from the motherboard or IO board to the Smart Array. The scsi cable runs from the disk enclosures in the front of the server to the motherboard or IO board.
Your error message indicates that the Smart Array can't detect any drives, and this will indeed be the case if the scsi cable isn't moved.
The documentation with the server and the Smart Array should give you instructions on what to do.

Also, are you sure about Smartstart 5.10? If it's a new server you should have recieved version 7.10.

/charles

We have the scsi cable attached to the array in port 1. We disconnected the cable from the motherboard to the array. We have done that. We had another cord that came with it and tried that one but resulted in the same error. It came with smartstart 5.10 for sure as well.

Then I am at a loss I'm afraid. At this point, I would call the HP service centre in your area to get the hardware fixed. Since it's a new server it should still be under warranty. All HP options in a server (the Smart Array 5300 in this case) is automatically covered in the server warranty.
/charles

If you have hot-plug cage for drives check if cage have connected power cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back