Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

error with multiple users 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

InternVirtuoso

Programmer
May 20, 2003
US
I was wondering if there was a setting in Access that prevents more than one user from accessing the database at the same time. I have a database website, and when more than one person tries to access the database it gives me an error. Everything works fine for a single user. Could the problem be with Access or is it a problem with my code?

If you could list the error message number and it's description that may help, as there are hundreds of possible errors.

This is the error I have been getting:
--------------
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e21'
Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB status value, if available. No work was done.
--------------

I'm still checking, but one possibility is that you need to upgrade you MDAC, as this is one of the MS explanations of this message.

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e21'

The request properties can not be supported by this ODBC Driver.

If I find anything more relevant, I'll post it.

I found comments on the site below,

and also found the one below, although this is for an ASP front end, where the data input is less restricted.

"Right, I just solved the problem. The length of the field in the database was too short."

Is that a possibility? If it is, this would also occur in single user mode if you could get in too many characters.

thanks! that was excactly the problem.

when I was testing by myself I would just put a few random letters into each field, but when we were doing "real" testing we used longer inputs. This led me to believe that the problem was with the number of users, when it was just my field size.

thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back