Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

error with file "the file does not exist or the path does not exist" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

macwan

Programmer
Apr 5, 2001
IN
I have created an ASP website, in which i want to open/download a .pdf file. When we click on the "download" button,the acrobeat reader will start, but it'll show the
error. "The file does not exist. or the path does not exist"
Plz, check this on the website "Devanshi.com" in it "libarary" and then open any manual. It will show files of that manual.

First: I think you must use slashes instead of backslash.
Second: You wrote the whole URL in your code beginning with
C:\WINDOWS\....
I think that the browser than will search the local machine or something.

You only have to code the unique last directory-names prefious with one or more " ../ " to find the right starting point.

Someting like:
href="../../Library/600invertor.pdf"

Good luck,
Erik

Your paths are absolute disk paths such as:

file:\\\c:\thepath\thefile.pdf

where they should be something like this:

or better yet, a relative path from the directory they're in such as:

../thepath/thefile.pdf

:)

erkil, thanks for ur reply.
but, even if I write last directory name with the filename, is it not working. There is same problem "The file does not exist or the path does not exist"
I need more help for this.

Hi Macwan,

I still see the disk path href="C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\dev\Library\f-type2.pdf" in your link.

Your pdf files should be added/uploaded in the directory near your asp-files ON THE SERVER. Not on your local disk.

The same like you do with you images: background=images/Gray_Textured5090[1].gif

So make a new directory "pdf" next to "images", copy all your pdf-files in the directory "pdf" and code your link like:

href="pdf/f-type2.pdf" or someting like href="../f-type2.pdf"

The second thing: I don't understand your code "target=shital" in all your links. Maybe you should delete this part ??

The thirth thing: In your page &quot;manual.asp&quot; you put also a <frameset>....</frameset> in the <body> These 2 tag's <body> and <frameset> won't work together and can cause problems. This <frameset>-code is allready in your default-page. So you don't need it in the page manual.asp

If it still don't work, show us a part of your code.

Good luck,
Erik

Thanx erkil,
I'll try ur suggestions. I am trying all these ideas on my pws, and if it works i'll upload the correction. That's why u see that disk path,
well, i'll try today again and will notify the progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back