Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error while runing report

Status
Not open for further replies.

adasoft

Programmer
Jan 31, 2002
IN
Hi,

We are using Crystal reports 8.5.When the reports designed using SQL Server 2000 runs on the SQL Server MSDE version 2000, then it gives the error "Server has not yet opened!". this error comes if we are giving server name for database connection. But if we give SQL server IP Address then this error does not comes.We don't understand the route of the error.

How can I solve this problem?

Thanx in advance

If you go to a DOS command line (Start Menu/Run and then type "cmd" befor hitting ENTER) and then type :
ping myservername and hit ENTER. This will give the IP address of the server name. Check that it matches the server IP address that you used when testing.

If it doesn't then it may be a problem with the DNS entry for that server (chat with your network bods). If it does match then are you able to use the "Verify database" option in the Database menu successfully when the servername is being used ?

Hope this helps.
ShortyA

Hi,

Thanks for reply.We have checked as per ur suggestion but we could not get success.It still giving the error message
'Could not connect server'.

Hi,
when you went via the DOS command what was the message ?

ShortyA

The message was as usual we get on piging a mchine like

Message from IP address .. Reply ...data

I don't get why it is working usibg IP address but not working on giving server machine name.

Are you connecting via ODBC to the SQL Server ? If yes, are you able to test the connection successfully through the ODBC Administrator when using the server name?

ODBC is working is properly and report is also working.But if we uses Microsoft SQL server available in More data sources then report does not even connect to SQL server.It gives message "Unable to connect to SQL Server <Server name>".

Try ticking the "Trusted Connection" box as this gets around the problem on my machine suggesting that it may be a permissions issue on the SQL Server. I am not sure why though as not a DBA.

Let me know how you get on.

We have already tried ticking this option.When we create new report using ODBC as data explorer then it works fine.But when we uses "Microsoft SQL Server" available below "More data sources" then report does not even connect to SQL server.This problem is only with MSDE 2000.Is it problem of Crystal report?

Have you tried connecting but with a userid that has system admin access to MSDE ? Then at least you can either eliminate security as the problem or focus on it.

Yes, we have tried using SA user.I think it is not the security problem because it is running using IP Address of the MSDE machine but fails using machine name.

This sounds like an issue on the MSDE side of things rather than Crystal (as you CAN connect albeit through the IP address). Have a look in the (MS SQL Server Programming) and (MS SQL Server Setup and Admin) as they are more likely to be able to help! Having had a look through there are several posts about connection problems to MSDE.

Sorry I cannot help anymore but at this stage I would be calling on the SQL experts myself...good luck.
ShortyA

Hi, The problem is not with MSDE i am able to connect MSDE database with my applications in VB using Machine Name , IP address , (Local) as server name.
But when i try with Crystal report it fail with Machine Name And (Local) as server name but with IP address it work fine.

Are you running the reports on the same machine that MSDE is on as you are referring to (Local) as the server name ?

Hi,

You are right. There was fault on MSDE networking configuration settings.There were no protocols enabled for the netwrok connections.We changed it and now it is working fine.

Thanx for the support.

Hi,
glad it worked out in the end. Many times I find it helps just having someone suggest new avenues of investigation.

Cheers.
ShortyA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back