Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ERROR!!! while installing Oracle9iAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCrystal

Programmer
May 7, 2002
US
I have installed oracle 9i on sun solaris 5.8. it has the original seed database provided by oracle. I am trying to install 9i Application server but it gives me error

the host name should be in following format
<ip Addr><hostname><alias>

in

/etc/hosts
/etc/nodename
/etc/net/ticlts/hosts
/etc/net/ticots/hosts
/etc/net/ticotsord/hosts

and other files where hostname is specified.

I logged in as 'oracle' and changed all files. Next time when i tried to login using oracle acct and tried to open a terminal the screen went black.

How do I install Oracle9iAS.

Hello,

When do you get this message ? Do you have an extract of the installation log ?

Regards,
Alain

I don't know the log file location and log file name.

I am doing runinstall from disk1 directory of 9iAS and trying to install Oracle 9iApplication Server 9.0.2.0.0
after this I get a screen with Installation types where option A is selected by default (which installs J2EE, Webcache, HTTP server)

when I press next it does setting up install types and displays the following message

&quot; Your local host name database file(typically /etc/hosts) is not configured properly. This file should have and entry of the form:

<IP_ADDRESS><FULLY_QUALIFIED_HOSTNAME><ALIASES>

on solaris systems, the following files should also contain the fully qualified hostname, including the domain name:

/etc/nodename, /etc/net/ticlts/hosts, /etc/net/ticots/hosts,/etc/net/ticotsord/hosts and any files in /etc whose name begin with 'hostname'

Failure to properly configure this file may result in product runtime issues regarding proper hostname resolution.&quot;

the /etc/host file has two entries one for loopback and other hostname which are in proper format except there is no alias for loopback.

Am I doing something wrong or was the oracle installation not proper.

I also get the same message, you better have to open a TAR on Metalink.

Greetings,
Alain V.

What do you mean by that. What will it do. I do not know anything as I am doing these installations for first time.
please advice.

Aviret's suggestion to &quot;open a TAR on Metalink&quot; means to ask help from Oracle technical support. Oracle's support site is You will have to register and supply a valid Customer Support Identifier. Then you will be able to open TARs. &quot;TAR&quot; means &quot;technical assistance request&quot;, or something like that.

You should definitely get in the habit of using Metalink. It has a wealth of technical information that will allow you to track down and solve problems that would otherwise stump you.

Another useful resource is the Oracle technology network, which is

Thanks Alain and Karluk for your help.

I am already reading the installation documents provided on technet also I have posted my question on Oracle's discussion forums.

I will open a TAR with metalink but Alain what did you do to work around this problem.

Now I have created a domain name and modified all the required files acording to the required format but when I login as 'Oracle' user it does not recognize and the display goes blank.

I went on to metalink site but it requires a support identifier. What is this support identifier. I tried using my OTN id for USA but it was not succesful.

Where and how can I get this support identifier.

You will get this identifier with your contract with Oracle.

I get the following extract from Metalink which resolves the problem:

----------------snip-snip------------------
3. The /etc/hosts second entry should contain the fully qualified host name.

Edit /etc/host to ensure it is in the correct format format:-
<IP> <HOST.DOMAIN> <ALIAS>

For example:-

192.3.234.2 yellow.xyz.com rainbow

Check the following files to determine this:-

/etc/nodename
/etc/hostname.hme0
/etc/net/ticlts/hosts
/etc/net/ticots/hosts
/etc/net/ticotsord/hosts
/etc/inet/ipnodes

Note:

a) This is an install time requirement only, and following the install, these changes may be backed out.
b) It is not supported (in the current release) to change the hostname or IP address of the machine, following an install. This does not affect the change stated above in note a)
----------------snip-snip------------------

Be sure to have the fully qualified hostname just after the IP number, that was the problem on our server.

Have a nice week-end,
Alain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back