Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error when using Stored Procedure and DateTime

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleCake

Technical User
Feb 4, 2002
US
I am using VB6 and a SP in SQL Server 2000. It works for me before I add the InvDate line so I know the problem is there. It gives me the error of "Optional feature not implemented". My field is set up as a Name: InvDate, DataType: datetime, Size: 7.

I know it is in the InvDate part, but I don't know where it is going wrong

Here is my code in VB6.
Code:
Private Sub Command1_Click()
    Dim cnConn As New ADODB.Connection
    Dim cmd As New ADODB.Command
    Dim prm As New ADODB.Parameter

cnConn.Open "Driver={SQL Server};Server=hhb-intranet;Database=HHbShippers;uid=jk;pwd=jk;"
      cmd.ActiveConnection = cnConn
    ' If cnConn.State = adStateOpen Then MsgBox "Here"

cmd.CommandText = "sp_ScannerInsertInvoice"
     cmd.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc

'   cmd.Parameters.Append cmd.CreateParameter("ScannerID", adInteger, adParamInput, , 2)
     cmd.Parameters.Append cmd.CreateParameter("Invoice", adChar, adParamInput, 7, "G10008")
     cmd.Parameters.Append cmd.CreateParameter("InvDate", adDBDate, adParamInput, , "6/1/2005 8:53:27 AM")
     cmd.Parameters.Append cmd.CreateParameter("EmployeeID", adInteger, adParamInput, , 1001)

cmd.Execute
     Set cmd = Nothing

End Sub

Here is my SP.
Code:
CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.sp_ScannerInsertInvoice (

--Parameters
	@Invoice char (7),
	@EmployeeID int,
	@InvDate DateTime

)

AS

INSERT INTO Invoices
(Invoice, EmployeeID, Complete, InsertDateTime, InvDate)
VALUES
(@Invoice, @EmployeeID, 0, GetDate(), @InvDate)
GO

Try removing the "AM" in your parameter code. Maybe SQL Server doesn't like this for some reason.

I tried that also. From the SQL Query Analyzer it works when I run it, but when I call it from my VB app it has that error.

Does the error occur on the VB line, or once you call the SP?

try changing:
Code:
cmd.Parameters.Append cmd.CreateParameter("InvDate", adDBDate, adParamInput, , "6/1/2005 8:53:27 AM")
to
Code:
cmd.Parameters.Append cmd.CreateParameter("InvDate", adDBDate, adParamInput, 25, "6/1/2005 8:53:27 AM")
It may be because the length is not specified.

It errors on cmd.Execute. If I remove the InvDate line from the VB and the SP it works fine. Since the SP works in the Query Analyzer I thought it would the VB code.

Can you print the exact error message? I remember I had something similar happen.

UncleCake said:
I thought it would the VB code

Have you posted this in a VB forum? If it is in the VB code, you might get a quicker solution from a forum dedicated to VB.

Just a thought...

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

No, I haven't. I didn't know if the programming part of forum would be the proper place. I will try the VB forum.

Thanks for your help.

-Uncle Cake

Order of declared parameters is different than order of input arguments in sproc - and .namedParameters is not used.

------
"There's a man... He's bald and wears a short-sleeved shirt, and somehow he's very important to me. I think his name is Homer."
(Jack O'Neill, Stargate)
[banghead]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back