Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error when adding OLE Object Word Document

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBear

Instructor
Jun 1, 2001
CA

I get an error when trying to add an OLE Word Document in Crystal Report Designer (Developer Edition). Environment is Windows 2000 with Office 2000.

The error is:

Failed to create object. Make sure that the application is entered in the system registry.

I've downloaded all the windows, office, and crystal reports service packs, but that didn't work. I've searched the crystal decision site, and they have a similar error under version 7 of crystal, but the solution to run the

o9regfix.exe

registry fix utility from the microsoft site did not work either.

I can put an ole word document in excel, I can put an excel, word pad and other ole objects in crystal reports but not word.

I've also tried completely reinstalling Office 2000, and Crystal reports (using custom full install).

Any ideas?

This is an Office issue. I have run into this many times.

Try the following

1. Reinstall Microsoft Word (or Office if you like). Best to do this cleanly to ensure everything gets in okay.

2. Hit the MS site and locate and install the Office 2000 SR-1/Win2K Registry Repair Utility. This utility usually restores registry settings for several important files that may cause Office 2000 apps to blow up on Win2K machines.

You could search for the file "o9regfix.exe" at
I suspect if you were to try inserting the same OLE object into Microsoft Excel you would get the same error.

Oh, and make sure you have Full Admin rights on the machine for the install.

Cheers,

SurfingGecko
Home of Crystal Ease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back